Nice, but astonishingly priced '66 New Yorker......

Noticed this listing, and wanted to see if anyone on here either 1.) knew anything about it, or 2.) had any other thoughts..... on this nifty blue 1966 New Yorker 2-door hardtop.

http://fioremotorclassics.com/listings/1966-chrysler-new-yorker-2dr-hard-top/

Interestingly (and highly) optioned, but the price is nothing short of breathtaking. I noticed what seemed to be the same car on another site across the river (from this dealer) in NY last fall, at a much lower price. Who knows, maybe it's been repainted or something, but $28K seems pretty unrealistic for one of these........

Car is mis-represented. The fender tag indicates the engine is a regular 350 HP 440 - not a TNT. Also has the regular log exhaust manifolds - not the HPs. The only thing that is TNT is the air cleaner and it's pie plate.

Car is mis-represented. The fender tag indicates the engine is a regular 350 HP 440 - not a TNT. Also has the regular log exhaust manifolds - not the HPs. The only thing that is TNT is the air cleaner and it's pie plate.

But, but, but...
usedcarsalesman.jpg

Good to know, thanks. Maybe the dual snorkel was added in later for better HP/airflow?

Wonder why/how this one got through so many hands in so little time?
It does seem like a very short time... but then, I once bought a 66 Gibson SG custom... guy was really straight with me and I got it for a song. Fixed much of what was wrong with it and was ready to move on after a few years. Sold it for what I paid plus parts.
Damned thing was on eBay seemingly every week after with a price increase of a grand for a month... I think it hit 9 grand.

Did they even have HP manifolds in 66? I thought that was why the TNT was 365 horse instead of 375.

Kevin

I'm not familiar with the 1966 VIN's. Is the engine code: A (CH23A...)? If so, what does that represent?

Did they even have HP manifolds in 66? I thought that was why the TNT was 365 horse instead of 375.

Kevin

You are correct. In '66, there were no HP exhaust manifolds. The standard 440 (either 345 or 350 HP - not sure of the rating) and the TNT (365 HP) both had the same exhaust manifolds. From what I've been able to determine, while researching my cars, the only things that differentiated the two are the dual snorkle air cleaner and dual exhaust on the TNT cars. Otherwise, the 440 engines are identical - same cam, same heads, etc. To confuse matters further, both standard 440 and TNT engined cars had a 'J' code in the vin, so you can't go by the vin. Also, the fender tag should show as AB=83 for the standard 440 and AB=82 for the TNT. Please note: I had the codes backwards in this post. There are correct now. Now I really have a headache. . .

Last edited:
...and all this time I thought the TNT was an option for '67, not for '66. Nice to know. Nonetheless, I don't think it warrants a significantly higher value than a New Yorker with the "plain old 440" though..... their ad makes a big deal about it, which the older listings did not do........

the vin in the door frame doesnt match the vin in the listing. the fender tag decodes as a 440 (350hp with single exhaust), the oil pan looks beat to ****, and theres a mystery clamp on the leaf spring. But the real crime is selling a car for 29K with that steering wheel. Cmon man.

Noticed this listing, and wanted to see if anyone on here either 1.) knew anything about it, or 2.) had any other thoughts..... on this nifty blue 1966 New Yorker 2-door hardtop.

http://fioremotorclassics.com/listings/1966-chrysler-new-yorker-2dr-hard-top/

Interestingly (and highly) optioned, but the price is nothing short of breathtaking. I noticed what seemed to be the same car on another site across the river (from this dealer) in NY last fall, at a much lower price. Who knows, maybe it's been repainted or something, but $28K seems pretty unrealistic for one of these........

Nice example/IMHO re-done seats. Two tone seats not offered like that in 66. FYI, I just sold a 67 4 door sedan New Yorker with a real 62k miles which I purchased from the original OLD LADY owner. I had the seats re-done by a pro in EXACTLY the same pattern, using EXACTLY the same material (SMS) because there was wear on the driver's side of the seat back-other than that the car was still wearing its original and gorgeous paint (of course I replaced the wear items like battery, plugs, points, wires, condenser, water pump, radiator, front calipers, etc). Anyway, the AC was still on R-12 and ICE COLD, all 4 power windows worked, 6 way power seat worked, it ran like a bullet, didn't smoke, burp or burn oil and it looked like it was built last year and had absolutely no rust of any kind anywhere. I sweat bullets to get $7500 for it and it was one of the nicest ones I have ever seen.

Good to know, thanks. Maybe the dual snorkel was added in later for better HP/airflow?

TNT cars in '66 did have a dual snorkle air cleaner, and unlike the standard 440 cars, they also had true dual exhaust. I believe these features are what raised the horse power rating from 350 to 365; the standard and TNT engines in '66 were all the same internally.

Nice example/IMHO re-done seats. Two tone seats not offered like that in 66. FYI, I just sold a 67 4 door sedan New Yorker with a real 62k miles which I purchased from the original OLD LADY owner. I had the seats re-done by a pro in EXACTLY the same pattern, using EXACTLY the same material (SMS) because there was wear on the driver's side of the seat back-other than that the car was still wearing its original and gorgeous paint (of course I replaced the wear items like battery, plugs, points, wires, condenser, water pump, radiator, front calipers, etc). Anyway, the AC was still on R-12 and ICE COLD, all 4 power windows worked, 6 way power seat worked, it ran like a bullet, didn't smoke, burp or burn oil and it looked like it was built last year and had absolutely no rust of any kind anywhere. I sweat bullets to get $7500 for it and it was one of the nicest ones I have ever seen.

I had a feeling those 2-tone buckets, while nice, weren't original, thanks for confirming. I hope the '67 New Yorker found a good home, it's a REAL nice example, IMHO, nicer than this New Yorker some flipper is trying to get $28K for.........

Back