No Brake Lights, But Turn Signals Work

8386CF4D-910C-413A-88C4-DEF1A8FB78E4.jpeg
95AB37A8-0523-43AD-979D-5001109FA9ED.jpeg
I got the dash lights working too.

Seems a combination of the dimmer switch spring popping out and someone possibly spraying in some grease to try to get it to work better(?).

I cleaned it up and glued the spring in.

It works! And I have lights that dim (even dimmer ...).

Man, #57 bulbs are not very bright...

Last edited:
I am really enjoying this thread. I went down a similar path on my instrument cluster last year. I ended up replacing all my instrument cluster bulbs with LEDs. I have been super happy with the result and they are dimmable. I got them from superbrightleds.com. I used their bulb selector tool on line and compared it to the FSM. The incandescent bulbs are pretty hot. The dash light lenses in the old instrument cluster had all melted/deformed from the heat. I got a new cluster that only had 49000 miles on it and this lenses were in great shape. I suspect the led bulbs are going to keep them that way.

The only thing I had a hard time with was the bulbs that fit into the printed circuit board. Those bulbs are polarity specific. I eventually made a 12vt power source with a spare battery and wires and figured out which way they needed to go in.

everything is looking great these days.

47E71545-1F3F-4950-95F6-5B26C63061E7.jpeg

View attachment 466741 I cleaned the connectors on the fuse box (took a dremel to the rust as gently as I could).

You can see the first three I did. I finished them all and all of a sudden I had interior lights!

Obviously the corrosion was so bad it prevented electricity to flow.

I also lost the brake and parking lights again ...

Switching fuses I found one of the fuses to be bad (yet visually it looks just fine but it only works intermittently) in addition to poor connectivity on the brake light connectors. I squeezed them a bit closer together and that helped.

Brake and parking lights are working.

I’m going to have to keep an eye on them.

I’m going to have to get De-Oxit so they don’t just corrode again. (It poured here for a few days and after that the brake lights weren’t working).

Now they’re far cleaner and I put some silicone on them. I was going to use dielectric grease but the more I read the more I’ve found it apparently does NOT allow conducting of electricity. Yet, some sources claim it does...
carry a assortment on fuses with u . if u have rust in the fuse box i would bet it got wey. if i was u i would go through the wiring current by current with a copy of the factory wiring diagram when i told u to change the turn switch i thought u had checked out everything else . u sart with the basics first

I was going to use dielectric grease but the more I read the more I’ve found it apparently does NOT allow conducting of electricity. Yet, some sources claim it does...

As I said in my post, just look up the word "dielectric".

I remembered the Deoxit you posted about but not about the dielectric.

I had looked it up online but there’s a lot contradictory information.
i nevetr used dielectric. grease on fuses if they r getting weyt find out where the eater is coming from (wndsheild leak ) fix it then if u want smear some ove the top of the fuises if u like , but in the 50 yrs i have been playing with cars i have NEVER used it . i have ion bulbs sickets & spark plug boots bu never on afuse . but good luvck
do u havd fcebook messenger or mewe .com? u could call me through it in fb im marty koirtyohnn & on mewe im martin koirtyohabnn . i dont know if u r tr olnly onrde that cas read these or not if u r i will give u my phonr # im no expet by no means but i have been tyere & done that . i tachght my cousin the basics in autp\omotobve electronics + im a ham radio operator too

Back