No gears

Npt 383

Reaction score
Hi, drove to the garage to fill up ,went to pull away, no gears . Linkages all ok and connected.
Wanted to ask you guys for ideas before i pull the transmission.
Hoping it might be a simple fix bit i doubt it ☹️ 1969 newport with 727 trans

I had a similar issue with a '68 Newport. The trans pan was so full of clutch material that it completely blocked off the filter. I cleaned out the mess, installed a fresh filter and fluid, and the trans worked fine again, though I doubt that it would have worked well for very long. It wasn't a car that I drove any distance, and eventually sold it back the the person I bought it from.

Jeff

I had a similar issue with a '68 Newport. The trans pan was so full of clutch material that it completely blocked off the filter. I cleaned out the mess, installed a fresh filter and fluid, and the trans worked fine again, though I doubt that it would have worked well for very long. It wasn't a car that I drove any distance, and eventually sold it back the the person I bought it from.

Jeff
Took pan off and all clean . Changed filter and checked internal linkage and was fine. Still the same . Gone through all gears and no drive. Engine would start in any gear ! Not just p and n

Did you check to see if the linkage inside the trans is moving with the linkage outside the trans?

If it's not linkage, you're likely looking at a pump issue, or possibly a stuck open pressure relief valve.

Jeff

Did you check to see if the linkage inside the trans is moving with the linkage outside the trans?

If it's not linkage, you're likely looking at a pump issue, or possibly a stuck open pressure relief valve.

Jeff
Yes ,all ok inside so looks like droppimg time

Can you feel it engage each gear circuit? If not, prepare a place . . .

Took pan off and all clean . Changed filter and checked internal linkage and was fine. Still the same . Gone through all gears and no drive. Engine would start in any gear ! Not just p and n

Did you do something to bypass the neutral safety switch, or can you just put it in R or D and the engine will start? If that is the case, that sounds like a problem with the linkage or the valve body, which could probably be dealt with without pulling the whole transmission.

Did you do something to bypass the neutral safety switch, or can you just put it in R or D and the engine will start? If that is the case, that sounds like a problem with the linkage or the valve body, which could probably be dealt with without pulling the whole transmission.
Agreed. You list two distinctly different issues that could explain your problem, and would not normally happen together by chance. Give us some background on the car and the two issues..... you drove to the gas station? Rusty car? Maybe the bolt broke on top of the shift lever??

Back