NO power steering 68 New Yorker

440Chauncey

Reaction score
Hey guys im new to this forum but I have a problem with my 68 Chrysler new yorker 440 car. I recently did some work to the motor and it is running fine but i went to take it for a test drive and the power steering was rough. All i did was take the pump off, repaint it and put it back on. When i was setting the timing i noticed the pump was pulling away from the motor and then there was a loud snap and the motor stalled. I restarted it noticing that there was no power steering at idle and even at 3000 rpm. So my question is, do i need a new gearbox or pump??

Thanks

Well, given your description, I'd guess the pump is bad. If all worked well before you removed it, I wouldn't suspect the the steering box.

Take the belt off and see if you can pull the shaft out of the pump, the noise you heard could have been the shaft breaking. I have seen it on a few Saginaw pumps on Chevy trucks

I ended up replacing the pump and flushing out the gearbox and now it works fine. Im guessing while I had my motor apart sand or dirt from sitting close to my sandblaster could have gotten into it and messed up the seals. I drained the old pump and when the pulleys turned I can hear crunching. I've driven this car for the past few days now with no problems at all.

Back