Nose Art

China, Ally

Alan

When I looked at that picture I thought I saw an Arisaka Type 99 (Japanese rifle), but it isn't.
Until you said that, I had never thought about China's primary battle rifle during WWII, which according to the internet was the Chiang Kai-shek Type 24 rifle, which that soldier is holding. I honestly don't think I've ever heard of that rifle.

b8d5056c661f9cd8db2fa9e4d797a77e35a0234e.jpg

Tell me more. What makes that an "E"?
The glass nose was the newer one-piece version, so not a D. But, the side windows are not armored, so not an F. The G had the same side windows as the F, but it also had the chin turret that appears in an earlier picture in this thread. No. 109: look at that and you'll see the different side windows too.

Picture 106 is an F.

Look at the nose on this link, first picture; you'll see the multi-frame plexiglass and not the one-pieced cone. Also, the tail is different. even though it's not in the picture above.

Boeing B-17D "The Swoose" > National Museum of the United States Air Force™ > Display
That's a pretty cool story about "The Swoose" that you linked to. It's fortunate that the plane was recognized as being a significant piece of history and preserved after the war.

Back