Not a C Body, but it is a Mopar. "87 Chrysler 5th Ave. Should I buy this?

I bought it. It hasn't been on the road since "08, but the family did start it every month. The records kept with this car are impeccable. The tires have good tread, but they also have flat spots after sitting for so long. The suspension needs some work. It pulls to the left a touch. Brakes are good. The motor runs really strong and smooth. No major leaks. AC works, but it's not super cold. My only fear is the front end suspension. All of the bushings look pretty well shot. Is that an expensive fix?
That's great news! I hope you post some more pics of it as you go ! Especially the interior. The AC probably just needs changed to 134a and re filled and it should be fine. You might have one of the brakes hanging up if it pulls to one side. If while driving, as it's pulling, tap the brake, if it pulls immediately to the opposite direction it usually means a hanging brake issue.
Forgive me if you already know this stuff, but I don't know how familiar you are with trouble shooting. Good luck with it!

I owned a '79 Lebaron, '81 Cordoba and a '87 Fifth Avenue. As always keep a spare electronic ignition balast resistor. They have typically four plugs and is ceramic. The one bolt will mount near the heater hose inlet on the firewall. If the car ever cranks and seems to start but dies when the key releases the crank position..replace it. Also front sway bar links like to break. They are cheap and always replace both. Lastly the rear leaf springs typically sag. When the time comes replace with new Police units (one extra leaf) or spring assist shocks. Get the springs from St Louis Spring or Gabriel spring assist shocks.

I bought it. It hasn't been on the road since "08, but the family did start it every month. The records kept with this car are impeccable. The tires have good tread, but they also have flat spots after sitting for so long. The suspension needs some work. It pulls to the left a touch. Brakes are good. The motor runs really strong and smooth. No major leaks. AC works, but it's not super cold. My only fear is the front end suspension. All of the bushings look pretty well shot. Is that an expensive fix?
Congrats man, I'm glad it's going to a good home.

Sway bar bushings and control arm bushings are readily available. It's no more expensive to repair than any other car with traditional A arm suspension. The bent torsion bar arrangement throws some people off, but it works fine. Parts are available...

http://www.p-s-t.com/s.nl/it.A/id.509/.f?sc=12

It runs great.

Thanks for all of the help. New tires and an alignment sorted out most of the issues I had with the car. I still need new shocks, but that can wait a few weeks. The car was slow to go into reverse this morning when it was cold. My Fury and Polara do that too. The interior is near perfect with only a little wear on the plastic, fake wood finishes. The steering is not very responsive and it does pull slightly to the right when I firs step on the brakes. After that it stops straight. Here are a couple of pictures.

image.jpg

image-1.jpg

Sweet car. Enjoy. As I said I love my M bodies. (Please excuse the Cordoba between them.).

HPIM2255.jpg

Commando- ouch. I'm wounded!

Yes they stole cues from the Monte, but I find the Cordoba a far more attractive car. Plus it will actually get me places- unlike the GM.

Weren't we discussing somewhere else of how Chrysler Corp designers looked at other makes when they were designing? This is just another example. Remember, stacked headlights made a comeback in the late 70's and Mopar needed to stay "modern".

Congrats on the purchase, any plans for it or just drive and enjoy?

Congrats on the purchase, any plans for it or just drive and enjoy?

I will probably put a new vinyl top on it because it's starting to rust under one corner. Other than that, I'm going to drive it. I just had a guy try to buy it from me and I could have doubled my money, but I like it too much.

These are my second choice on cars if I could snag one for cheap. The only problem is the back seat is a little tight and I'm not a huge fan of A904/998/999s. If you ever want more power a dual exhaust and summit K6900 would wake it up with the highway gears without being overkill.

Is there a good way to sharpen up the steering on this car? It seems to float from one side of the road to another. Never in a straight line. I did have an alignment done already.

Back