For Sale NOT MINE 1970 newport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this Newport still rolling on it's original tires? Those double whitewalls were only used in 70-71, and don't know of anyone who repros them . . .
Odd . . . this car must have been off the road for years. Can't imagine anyone (without a death wish) trying to actually drive on tires that old.

It sure looks like it. I enlarged the LF wheel photo, H78x15 Goodyears. Same tires that came on Dad's '70 Catalina convertible. IIRC, they were worn out ~ 20,000 miles.

I think I've seen some dual stripe reproductions in J78x15, expensive! I like the dual stripes but not enough to pay the price and lose my radials. I'd love to find some 3/8" stripe white wall radials.

I contacted the dealer, they have a deposit on the car, for what its worth.

I received a call from the dealer. The car is available, typical used car salesman, yada-yada yada. I asked about how the car drove and they have not driven because of the original tires. The car is located at the deceased owners house and wife is having them sell the collection.

This is a fuselage I could own, if I were looking...

I wonder about the mileage. Could it be a genuine 15K mile car, and if so, how come? The original cross&ply tires sure speak for it.
It needs bucket seats, a new set of tires, and a full tank of gas. - Nice Newport!

I wonder about the mileage. Could it be a genuine 15K mile car, and if so, how come? The original cross&ply tires sure speak for it.
It needs bucket seats, a new set of tires, and a full tank of gas. - Nice Newport!

Personally, given the look of the underhood especially the firewall and the interior, I find it pretty convincing that it is a 15K mile car.

I just wonder what other cars are in the deceased fellows collection?

If I were going to buy the car, I would ask the salesman to provide me with the previous owners contact information to help confirm the mileage. Maybe he would say she doesn't want to be bothered but I would sure try if I had doubts and try to find out more about what else is for sale..................

Amazing looking Newport. Taking a glimpse of the interior and details, firewall and other areas it damn sure looks original mileage. At 10kusd its a steal! From the photos it looks like a new car. Maybe that dual carb setup is not bad , i'd slap on a shorter diff in the back and a hot cam, could roll nicely... I

A car like that deserves to go back to stock IMO. If I owned that car, that is what I would do and no one would get it from me if I owned it and decided to sell it that wanted to modify it no matter what they were willing to pay. That is one thing I am careful of if I consider selling a car overseas, but sometimes I have been unpleasantly surprised too. More than anything I want these cars to go to folks that cherish and preserve what they were and not make them into some hot rod mess of aftermarket parts.

I deeply regret not selling this car to polara71 Dave if I had known more about him many years ago than I do now when I sold this car. I thought I had vetted the new owner well, but he ended up changing the color after he had it for awhile. I was just furious when I heard about it and it is the worst regret in selling a car that I have experienced.

100_6440-jpg.jpg

My 71 300 in the background (also GJ4 green) will stay with me until I am gone, that is for sure after that huge mistake.

Last edited:
A car like that deserves to go back to stock IMO. If I owned that car, that is what I would do and no one would get it from me if I owned it and decided to sell it that wanted to modify it no matter what they were willing to pay. That is one thing I am careful of if I consider selling a car overseas, but sometimes I have been unpleasantly surprised too. More than anything I want these cars to go to folks that cherish and preserve what they were and not make them into some hot rod mess of aftermarket parts.

I deeply regret not selling this car to Polara71 Dave if I had known more about him many years ago than I do now when I sold this car. I thought I had vetted the new owner well, but he ended up changing the color after he had it for awhile. I was just furious when I heard about it and it is the worst regret in selling a car that I have experienced.

100_6440-jpg.110520

My 71 300 in the background (also GJ4 green) will stay with me until I am gone, that is for sure after that huge mistake.

I would have graciously accepted :thumbsup:

i agree with all the above except buckets. This bench is super comfortable and looks fantastic.

"Converted to dual quad setup using factory parts"

When did Mopar ever build a 383 with two fours? Factory parts? I don't mean the cross-ram from the early '60s.

I do agree with the comments about all the extras on the motor, yet still a 2.76 rear.

Otherwise, this is a very nice car.

"Converted to dual quad setup using factory parts"

When did Mopar ever build a 383 with two fours? Factory parts? I don't mean the cross-ram from the early '60s.

I do agree with the comments about all the extras on the motor, yet still a 2.76 rear.

Otherwise, this is a very nice car.

There was also a dealer installed 2x4 setup. These were put on a few police cruisers for the additional power to avoid the cross ram setup or to get rid of it to make plug changes and valve cover servicing easier.

Dave

Last edited:
Apparently this was it:

This package was a mid-year addition, where the following components were
installed in the trunk.

* Dual In-Line Cast Iron Intake Manifold
* '2' Carter AFB Carburetors {#2790; Front} and {2791; Back} = 480 CFM's each
* Linkage
* High-Pressure Fuel Pump {3-Valve}
* Special 'Football-Shaped' Air Cleaners
* Special '413' Long-Branch Exhaust Manifolds
* Clay Smith 'Mechanical' Camshaft
* Solid Tappet Lifters
* Dual High-Load Rate Valve Springs
* Heavy-Duty Valve Spring Retainers
* Mopar '300 J' Cylinder Heads
* Adjustable Rockers w/Special Locking Nuts
* High-Strength Push Rods

I didn't care much for the linkage arrangement on this 1970 Newport. Were I to get it I'd probably go with a factory type single 4bbl.

I wouldn’t change anything unless it ran poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back