NOT MINE NOT MINE An Original 15K mile 1971 Chrysler New Yorker Being Parted - A Damn Shame

Yep that's the same up here , but it literally has to be scrapped.
I couldnt believe what i was seeing here in town
20220224_142729.jpg

True yes I know its gone and the transmission is gone too so that would make it challenging to get and it sucks, but its too bad and heartbreaking to see the whole car be parted like it is when its this nice. I don't wanna get ridiculed or anything but I assume the car rolls with front tires on it that hold air, so maybe get a forklift to lift the backend off the ground at the yard itself and let the front tires roll on the ground to put it on the transport truck. That maybe a stupid and redneck way but thats all I can think of, otherwise I don't know.

Believe me I thought about every way conceivable myself but I couldn't make it work and I wonder whether the owner of the yard would even let it happen. Oh well, I can't win them all................................

This is bullshit. A state may have a law that a car must be "scrapped" but NO state can say that a car can not be titled in another state, states do not have jurisdiction over other states. In Pennsylvania, you can take a car with a scrapped title and apply for a reconstructed title. It's always listed as a Reconstructed title in PA but who knows what happens in other states.

I know some states don't require a title for cars older than a certain year so if I get a reconstructed title in PA and subsequently sell the car in a state that doesn't require a title, only a bill of sale, the car could be titled in that state with no sign it had been ever salvaged in the past. Caveat Emptor.

This is a greedy salvage yard that doesn't give two shits about classic cars and is only looking at it that they can make more money from parts and scrap then selling the car whole, the reason the car is in the salvage yard is irrelevant. The salvage yard owner is just a sleezeball salesman who gets his rocks off by seeing who he can get to believe his lies.

Apparently the 80 year old owner received an eviction notice for the car since it was illegally parked at some point and he was told to move it but didn't comply. So it was determined to be an abandoned car and was sent to this wrecking yard where the owner told me it had to be labeled a salvage vehicle that could never be put back on the road again in any state so he got the car to part out. It is one of my favorite colors on one of my favorite models too - Aztec gold.

You made me look up Texas law regarding slavage autos and what the yard told you is wrong. Read the second page of the application for salvage title. One can put the car back on the road after a state inspection. This car, as described, would have passed state inspection easily so something doesn't smell right about this. Also towns/cities impound cars at impound yards no matter the state. The yard would then charge storage till pick up or forfeited to the yard.

https://www.txdmv.gov/sites/default/files/form_files/VTR-441.pdf

This is bullshit. A state may have a law that a car must be "scrapped" but NO state can say that a car can not be titled in another state, states do not have jurisdiction over other states. In Pennsylvania, you can take a car with a scrapped title and apply for a reconstructed title. It's always listed as a Reconstructed title in PA but who knows what happens in other states.

I know some states don't require a title for cars older than a certain year so if I get a reconstructed title in PA and subsequently sell the car in a state that doesn't require a title, only a bill of sale, the car could be titled in that state with no sign it had been ever salvaged in the past. Caveat Emptor.

This is a greedy salvage yard that doesn't give two shits about classic cars and is only looking at it that they can make more money from parts and scrap then selling the car whole, the reason the car is in the salvage yard is irrelevant. The salvage yard owner is just a sleezeball salesman who gets his rocks off by seeing who he can get to believe his lies.

I
Texas on abandoned cars.

What happens if not claimed out of storage? Sold or transferred at public auction.

Guides: Abandoned Property: Abandoned Vehicles.
Since you have read the actual laws on on the matter, why not give him a call to extract more information from him than we already have. It would be entertaining probably.................................

This one (the situation) is clarifying. I was gonna call own there (basically Houston, right?) and find out if this one has NOT been picked clean beyond powertrain. It's gotta at least have front two steer wheels - we'll get it one there .

Too much crap at work before the holiday and didnt get to it..plus I am just getting to this new investigation by @tbm3fan and @shooter65 perrspective.

I'll save it (at a fair price of course).. if so, and if yard will just let my guys in there with their recovery-equipped tow-trailer, we'll get it outta there. Probably like many of you, I have every thing needed in the warehouse .. correct year at least that is

Assuming one of you guys are NOT going to try for it . I'll gladly get in line.

:thumbsup:

What has me wondering about this whole situation is if it could have been somehow saved given the alleged circumstances it seems to me the seller could have gotten upward of $25K at least for that car with no trouble given the miles on it and condition. I doubt the sale of the attractive parts, namely the drivetrain, would have netted anywhere close to that sum and I doubt that there are very many other C body enthusiasts in the Texas area that would even have use for most everything else and that would be actively searching on Facebook for that make and model.

I have a few 1971 New Yorkers that are complete and in generally good condition and not high miles but for me to restore any one of them to the as received condition would cost upwards of $70K at a minimum even with me doing most of the mechanical work and you would never have matching numbers again no matter what.

That is what makes this whole situation so egregious to me at least.

There's something else to this story we aren't hearing.

There may be something fishy with the paperwork or title to the car. Perhaps involved in a crime or maybe it was seized. Houston isn't exactly what I would call a crime free area if you catch my drift. (apologies to any Houston residents here).

The other thing that comes to mind is the closeness to the border. Mexican car perhaps? Cartel car?

Perhaps the people in charge just saw "old car" and checked the "scrap it" box.

I can't see the car getting parted like this without a better reason than it was abandoned.

you cats are right ... situation still "smells"' a bit on this one.

if yard is somehow "in on it" (i.e., something's amiss with the acquisition/ownership transfer) given their initial explanation has been debunked, thats a showstopper right there.

im a little skeptical of them....mainly cuz i cant look 'em in the eye/size the joint up in person first.

i dont want this car -- or any hunk a metal at any price -- but if its worth saving, ill at least do the due diligence on it and try to rescue it. no interest in making money on it.

again, anybody already pursuing it seriously, shoot me a PM BEFORE 7/5 please. i'll get in line.

you cats are right ... situation still "smells"' a bit on this one.

if yard is somehow "in on it" (i.e., something's amiss with the acquisition/ownership transfer) given their initial explanation has been debunked, thats a showstopper right there.

im a little skeptical of them....mainly cuz i cant look 'em in the eye/size the joint up in person first.

i dont want this car -- or any hunk a metal at any price -- but if its worth saving, ill at least do the due diligence on it and try to rescue it. no interest in making money on it.

again, anybody already pursuing it seriously, shoot me a PM BEFORE 7/5 please. i'll get in line.

I have placed an order for some interior parts that are not big ticket items but if you have a need for the sheet metal it sounds like and you decide to get it maybe you could sell me those parts separately. Because the parts I need are not expensive ones he might not even fill my request since in talking with him it just seems like he isn't that motivated and isn't regular in answering the phone............................like you said, I am not there to look at his reactions and get a better sense as to what is really going on.

Maybe it was used in a crime, bodies were found in the trunk and there is a lien on the title.

if yard is somehow "in on it" (i.e., something's amiss with the acquisition/ownership transfer) given their initial explanation has been debunked, thats a showstopper right there
I thought about that.... If this was 40-50 years ago, yep... Yards played things loose and fast. I remember during some times when steel prices were way up and there wasn't a lot of oversight, cars got pulled out of yards and garages and scrapped. A friend lost a '60 T-Bird (with a stick!) to a scrapper... Right out of his Mom's garage. Another time they grabbed three older cars out of the lot of another shop... One was a scrap car, but the others were customer cars.

One yard here was busted for stolen cars and another had someone walk in and shot everyone.... I think that was a mob "hit".

I think in this day, that might not happen. The yards are real businesses and if you think about it, a "pick and pull" is open for everyone to see... and not "Mom and Pop" places anymore.

So... That may be the story he was given... Or it may be some cover story he's giving out to keep themselves a distance from the real story.

Years ago my ex mother in law gave me an old 73 grand marquis, drove it awhile and time came to get a new title, i found out it came from a wrecking yard here in texas. It was assigned a totaled status and could not be retitled. If I remember right, money was owed on it. That was some mother in law I had! There has got to be some more to new yorkers story than we are hearing for this to have happened.

I have placed an order for some interior parts that are not big ticket items but if you have a need for the sheet metal it sounds like and you decide to get it maybe you could sell me those parts separately. Because the parts I need are not expensive ones he might not even fill my request since in talking with him it just seems like he isn't that motivated and isn't regular in answering the phone............................like you said, I am not there to look at his reactions and get a better sense as to what is really going on.
say chief .. hope you're well.

my objective was get it on four wheels and cannabilize a wrecked, body rotted but runs, '71 ex-squad car that I am never gonna put back together for its motive/suspension parts. I didnt plan to cut this NYR up

IF, the car is a good as it appears, and IF the only things cannabilized already are what we THINK. Yard may exactly be planning to honor requests for your stuff/other stuff people want off of it..

I;ll try have to find all that out tomorrow -- what is its true physical status as what still there and NOT committed to others, If they respond, cool. If I can't reach them/get unsatisfactory answers, then that's the end of the line for me.

My goal is NOT to make him an offer he can't refuse just to get it whole thing .. I dont want it that bad. There's still this whole "mystery" around how it came to be there in the first place stinkin' up the whole deal to me.

While that gets sorted IF it can be from a distance, its getting parted piece by piece - maybe - and im wasting time "tilting at windmills" on this deal.

:thumbsup:

I thought about that.... If this was 40-50 years ago, yep... Yards played things loose and fast. I remember during some times when steel prices were way up and there wasn't a lot of oversight, cars got pulled out of yards and garages and scrapped. A friend lost a '60 T-Bird (with a stick!) to a scrapper... Right out of his Mom's garage. Another time they grabbed three older cars out of the lot of another shop... One was a scrap car, but the others were customer cars.

One yard here was busted for stolen cars and another had someone walk in and shot everyone.... I think that was a mob "hit".

I think in this day, that might not happen. The yards are real businesses and if you think about it, a "pick and pull" is open for everyone to see... and not "Mom and Pop" places anymore.

So... That may be the story he was given... Or it may be some cover story he's giving out to keep themselves a distance from the real story.

you're right man .. i could be stuck in 90's/earlier in the "Wild West", or channeling Keitel's character in Pulp Fiction.

Yards are definitely, largely more reputable businesses now. MUCH harder to pull recycling or "hot iron/chop shop" scams, or "Mr Wolf" solutions ala the movie.

1688472419259.png

you're right man .. i could be stuck in 90's/earlier in the "Wild West", or channeling Keitel's character in Pulp Fiction.

Yards are definitely, largely more reputable businesses now. MUCH harder to pull recycling or "hot iron/chop shop" scams, or "Mr Wolf" solutions ala the movie.

View attachment 604742
The junk yard in "Breaking Bad" comes to mind.

old-joe-larry-hankin-walter-white-bryan-cranston-and-jesse-pinkman-aaron-paul-breaking-bad-sea...jpg

Back