Not sure I have the right power steering pump, 68 newport

Biggredd2069

Reaction score
I have a good leak in my steering pump. And I've lost 2 caps so far. The previous owner may have swapped it out from a different model. Reason I think that is it looks like it doesn't have the same size hose input/outlet and they used another size of hose to adapt them together. If I could get away with just buying a cheap rebuild kit I would but 2 things, first do I have the right pump in there? And 2 I don't want the weak link of the 2 different size hoses, unless it isn't as big of a deal as my mind thinks it is. Here are a couple pics. 68 Chrysler newport 383. I see so many different kinds of pumps when I search online I don't know where to start and most don't seem to be for c body, unless they're interchangeable. Appreciate the help.

20200415_142700.jpg

20200415_142707.jpg

The return hose is a joke. The hose to hose clamped end could be restricted causing your trouble. The hot oil is swelling the hose. A definite problem. You could get some metal pieces to adapt the 5/8” hose to 11/32” size for your steering box and it might work better.

The pump with that large return size is 1966 and older. That return fitting has been welded on at the wrong angle.

my photo is a 1966 pump. See the correct angle on the return fitting.

Your mounting bracket is a C body part

7D623301-9CA4-477C-A178-17985B912DDB.jpeg

That is a federal pump...looks like the right one for a big block engine. There are rebuild kits for that pump available...Rick Ehrenberg sells a nice kit. It looks like your return hose nipple on the pump body has some issues. You may need to go with a rebuilt pump.

Any links you can provide to a basic direct replacement I can purchase? Like I said I keep seeing a, b and e body over and over. I might just prefer to get rid of this altogether for a proper unit I can direct replace.

That return hose should be a high pressure hose, if it, (or that part between the clamps), is just fuel hose it will burst.

It’s not high pressure there, but it does need to be an oil hose not full or coolant hose.

wrong hose gets swelled like the one on there now.

I swapped out the fitting on the steering box when I went to a later style pump, took it off the '67 Dart that is loosing it's power steering.

I just purchased a rebuild kit for my federal...cost me $25? then another $25 for the tool to remove and reinstall the pulley...ended up being a bad pump....ordered a new reman with reservoir from CarId for a 68 charger...installed it a couple days ago and it works like a charm. $70 shipped for that....

side note...check the back of the reservoir and make sure its not a TRW

Last edited:
Most power steering pumps, unless some new OEM, are "without reservoir", even the reman pumps. The real need you have is for a correct reservoir with a new pump-to-reservoir o-ring and other necessary seals.

I believe the return line only has about 15psi in it, BUT the hose does need to be a "power steering specific" hose. A fuel line might work, but the rubber in the hose needs to be compatible to the fluid which flows though it. It should probably state "Power Steering" stamped on the hose's exterior.

So, a correct reservoir/seal package are the main things you need, plus the correct-spec rubber hose. PLUS a system full of correct-spec Power Steering Fluid, NOT red atf.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

That appears to be the smaller 4-5/8" size for small blocks. If it fits & works properly then great. Wonder why they originally spec'd the various displacement / output pressures depending on engine size & body type.
its identical to the one that came in my car...correct part number for mine per fSM. I was worried about the pressures too...but cant find any way of determining what would come in when ordering one. They all have the same part number now...but it is the correct pump body for my car...who knows about the pressure valve.

its identical to the one that came in my car...correct part number for mine per fSM. I was worried about the pressures too...but cant find any way of determining what would come in when ordering one. They all have the same part number now...but it is the correct pump body for my car...who knows about the pressure valve.
A 1968 383 would have come from the factory with the big 5-1/8" pump, not the small block 4-5/8". FSM does not specify aftermarket rebuilt pumps. The big block Cardone rebuilt pump is 206107. I would suspect that under certain driving conditions the smaller pump might be inadequate. If the smaller pump fits the original brackets, works great, and is cheap to buy you can't beat that.

On a final note, if the pump isn't working properly, they are not terribly hard to rebuild. Rebuilt mine over 20 years ago & has been issue free ever since.

Mine works but just leaks. I'm a little scared now though. I think I'd rather just buy a full replacement. Sounds like the link for the one on the bay is too small? Just a direct replacement that isn't jimmy rigged, welded wrong, missing a cap, or multiple size hoses is what I need and not horribly expensive. I can do the work myself but think id be not comfortable just getting it back to stock and simple.

The link I posted is identical to the one from my 67 newport. Same part number..2537955 .exactly what the fsm says I'm supposed to have. I don't know about 68. Also...same bracket as in cbarges post...

206107 is the trw pump. Mine is the federal.

Last edited:
In the end...if you order a rebuild/seal kit...it will matter which shaft end you have....threaded, hex hole, or slotted...those were the 3 types.

Back