1. stubs300

stubs300 Senior Member

I have read and heard from lots of people that the TMCC loco's are loaded with issues right out of the box. I can't afford that expensive stuff so I just run it conventional. They also look way to fragile now days, not like the old Lionel of post war years. It all went down hill after the MPC buyout. Good Luck

2. Ripinator

Ripinator Senior Member

Zack: I really love your train layout and the new Challenger acquisition. Reminds me of the Lionel layouts we used to set up at Christmas time so long ago. Lately, I've had a good bit of fun running my trains on our club's (Four County Society) modular layout. Here is a short clip of my N&W Y6-B pulling a manifest freight:

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. 70bigblockdodge

70bigblockdodge Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

That SOB in the light blue 4wheeler pulled right down on you at the crossing. Sheeez they can't even drive little plastic one's, it's nowonder I don't get hit everyday.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. stubs300

stubs300 Senior Member

Rip - That's 2 rail, not 3. Is that Standard gauge or ON30 because I know it's not O?

5. Ripinator

Ripinator Senior Member

It is HO scale. . .

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. stubs300

stubs300 Senior Member

Videos can be deceiving sometimes.

7. 70bigblockdodge

Very cool though, thanks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. 78Brougham

78Brougham Deplorable FCBO Gold Member

I found this last year when I was working on my shelf layout. This is one COOL layout! I can't imagine how much time and money was involved in this.

• Like Like x 4
  9. 70bigblockdodge

My son and the his scout troop went to Western PA railroading museum. They have a really extensive layout of the old B&O line from Pittsburgh to Cumberland MD. Circa 1953. Now CSX it follows the Monongahela and Youghogheny river. They are normally open to the public November and December. IMG_20180303_143827556.jpg
    Essentially standing in the Monongahela river looking West across Smithfield street bridge, the bigger Wabash bridge is no longer there.
    IMG_20180303_143844404.jpg
    Same spot looking the other way these tracks are gone now, highway and rails to trails, raised railroad bridge is now a trolley/subway subway bridge.
    IMG_20180303_144008162.jpg
    This is excavation for IR 376 highway and in the foreground is a Jones&Laughlin steel mill (not there anymore). They were rebuilding it during downtime/summer.
    IMG_20180303_144754336.jpg
    This rail yard is still there, run by a shortline, near Homestead PA.
    IMG_20180303_151529959.jpg
    These are some scouts in a cave, it is quite detailed, and very true to actual geography, with some artistic liberties.

IMG_20180303_143827556.jpg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  10. Ripinator

Ripinator Senior Member

WOW! Very nice layout. I've heard about this model railroad, but have never seen it. A real modeler's dream railroad. Thanks a lot.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Ripinator

Ripinator Senior Member

Yes they can. When the video is taken at track level, it forces a change in perspective.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. 78Brougham

78Brougham Deplorable FCBO Gold Member

One more crazy layout... long but fascinating to watch.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 70bigblockdodge

It is huge. The trains make the trip go out of sight, loop around and make the return trip, out of sight and make it again.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  14. monaco75

monaco75 Senior Member

I can agree and disagree on this one. Personally I’ve had more trouble out of my MTH engines. Although, I can’t necessarily blame the engines themselves, as all of em like this new to me challenger have been second hand, and are several years old by the time I get em. I couldn’t, and wouldn’t want to afford a brand new $1500 engine....

I gotta admit though, as troublesome as they might be I love all the bells and whistles on the “newer” stuff. Yes more to go wrong, but the sound systems are incredible, as well as the rest.

Even though they are China built, the vision line offerings from Lionel are pretty jaw dropping to me. Such great looking pieces. Again though we’re talking a $2k train. Love to have it, but wouldn’t pay for it.

There is a guy on YouTube I enjoy watching. His channel is ericstrains. He can get a little tiresome listening too... but some of the stuff he reviews is stuff I’ll never own. Its kinda like the movie version of flipping through a catalog as a kid. Stuff you’d kill to have, but can only look lol.

Thanks!! I really like it too. However I’m trying not to “fall in love” with it, as it may not be here much longer. I’ve always wanted a big boy, and this is as close as I’ll ever get I believe. No space for the bigger curves to run an official big boy...

That loco is great! Pretty incredible sound coming from an HO engine. Layout looks damn good as well!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  15. monaco75

monaco75 Senior Member

Well I’ve tried all I can do for the challenger... still not functioning properly.

I’ve been talking with the guy I got it from. I asked for a little of a refund to go towards repair cost for the engine, but he seemed to rather do a full refund, and return the engine. I’ll know for sure tomorrow, but is what it is.

Engine came from an estate sale. Guy I bought it from is helping the family sell the stuff. He said the gentleman collected trains, and liked to showcase them. Didn’t have a layout in the house, so everything is like new. Unfortunately seems the electronics must not have liked that...

I did manage to get it on the tracks with the rest of em for a brief run tonight. Even got the New York central on the tracks.

D4E98418-5BE9-48EA-B832-4EB310BC9635.jpeg 34E1B7AB-423F-44B3-B413-7208645CA056.jpeg

16. mrfury68

mrfury68 Well-Known Member

That layout at the model railroad museum is amazing. My son and I have been there. The time and talent involved is something special. All of the pics of these train layouts are really cool.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  17. 70bigblockdodge

Yes, lots of dedication from it's members.