Oh Mama!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Real World" market

Collector Car Market puts a #1 1971 Chrysler 300 show condition car at $11,125 in a real world market. That car is not #1 as there are very few out there either due to incredibly low low miles or was a full on professional restoration. Maybe #2 and that value is $7,750.

Throw out the book! that's for insurance companies to fall back on.​

Collector car market value guide is more realistic then most about mainstream car values, but they tend to go for the low side.
If that 71 300 is anything close to how it looks then 12 to 15K is not unreasonable to someone who wants a top level car.

I really do not think there is a true #1 condition car, (perhaps for the first day and a half after restro), but a high #2 condition is about as good as it gets when looking at a original automobile.

Wanna make yourself feel good about the value of your car....? Check out Hagertys value guide......!

Don't you just roll your eyes every time an ebay ad says for a 1974 Satellite 318/auto. 4 door "appraised for $25,000...".

Sent using Forum Runner

Throw out the book! that's for insurance companies to fall back on.

That would be true of NADA but not these guys. They go out and obtain all their info from auctions and private sales so they can give a more accurate value. They avoid big auctions and any comparison to NADA.

That being said the problem with many is that they are too closely involved with their cars or in this case a dealer who thinks average buyers are gullible. A friend of mine deals in European antiques and his house is full of them as decoration. Could have been there years but everything is for sale and he is not "attached" to one single item. He will deal.

Now many have commented about how nice the car is but no one would ever consider paying the money this guy is asking for. Of course, since most are well versed in C bodies. He is hoping for a collector with more money than brains, only collectors don't buy these cars. They buy cars, like my friend buys antiques, as an investment with upside value. There is no big upside value in these cars. That is the cold hard facts of collecting a car. If for value then buy the one with potential otherwise buy what you like and not worry about whether it would ever sell as you don't care.

In my case I don't care what the my cars are valued at. How many others can actually say that and really mean it? My Cougar has gotten numerous offers to buy but I don't care as it will never be for sale at any price. It was my fathers and it was/is my first car so monetary value is not relevant. The sentimental value is priceless. So when I buy a car I am completely dispassionate about it. There are also more cars then buyers and buyers are thinning out each passing year.

Collector Car Market puts a #1 1971 Chrysler 300 show condition car at $11,125 in a real world market. Throw out the book! that's for insurance companies to fall back on.

But who's paying even the book value?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back