Oil filter

jmustian

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well car was in storage for nearly 30 years. Someone had started repairing it and died.
So my oil filter would not come off and after trying everything i could, i pulled the oil pump, put it on the bench and used a die grinder and chisel.

IMG_20230408_161900481.jpg

IMG_20230409_121953826.jpg

Picture of the threads on the oil pump housing?

not madly in love with where the vice jaws dug into the surface...i'd just slam a new pump onto it...prime it first

img_20230408_161900481-jpg.jpg

See those vice jaw marks? Basically that pump is now junk. That face has to be smooth so the rotors can turn smoothly and needs to have minimal clearance to maintain oil pressure.

It might work OK, but if it were me, I'd toss that one over my shoulder.

And like @volksworld says, prime the new one first. Some guys cram grease or vaseline in it, but my preference would be to use a driver and a drill to prime it.

Thats why i show pictures cause i never really saw that. Just got it clean. Must have come from trying to get that filter from hell off.

I've used Lubriplate break-in grease most recently for priming, with excellent effect, though for about a year with the OLD pump, I Vaselined it a couple times before popping for a nice new Melling pump some yrs ago. I have a priming shaft too, for those occasions when I would like to see how the oil pumps up through the upper levels BEFORE running the engine, but for now, with my driver motor, it does well enough as I treat it, until it eventually busts something down low.

It will too, sooner or hopefully, later. Am looking to get a decent runner motor as an emergency drop-in, in case a clean build job can't be made ready in time. Since my 3rd genetic copy is due early June, funding limitless Mopar projects has been curtailed....... What my wife's Millennial pals think of as "babying" an engine is what I call, Basic Preventative Maintenance. Anyone wonder why new stuff is made sealed and meant to run untouched for 200k miles?

No reason a Chrysler V-8 can't run 200K, or more. Good machine work, good oil pump, good bearings, good valve guides, roller timing chain, electronic ignition, and a good fuel system . . . with good oil in it. If I can make an OEM Chevy 305 last 525K, a good Chrysler engine ought to be good for more than that.

The 525k included a Cloyes roller chain at 92K, fwiw. It could have gone longer except for the nuisance of all of the block freeze plugs were seeping. But it was getting to be "time", anyway.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

No reason a Chrysler V-8 can't run 200K, or more. Good machine work, good oil pump, good bearings, good valve guides, roller timing chain, electronic ignition, and a good fuel system . . . with good oil in it. If I can make an OEM Chevy 305 last 525K, a good Chrysler engine ought to be good for more than that.

The 525k included a Cloyes roller chain at 92K, fwiw. It could have gone longer except for the nuisance of all of the block freeze plugs were seeping. But it was getting to be "time", anyway.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Yes, this 383 we've been running now over 7 years has on the order of 250k mi on it, with work. My reference came with the assumption of NO maintenance whatsoever, which I have been informed is the goal for these modern Nippo-mobiles. That's right, not an oil change, plug change, coolant flush, NADA, of the customary maintenance for ~200k miles. Do any of you think our B/RB engines will run with such neglect? They were NOT so designed, or built.

I drove a '64 El Camino w a 283 w ~400k of HARD use before I got it for $300 in 1982. It had a Rochester quad of some sort, large for the motor, which would occasionally burp burning petrol into my youthful, acned, bearded face. I drove it 7 days/week, delivering propaganda papers, and had no time to wrench it. Yes, it RAN, and after finally tuning it up, it then lasted another week until my drunkard roommate stole it, and promptly drove it to wreckage.

BUT, Not Ford, GM, Chrysler or even AMC ever built a motor from 1958-1979 which was DESIGNED TO RUN 200,000 MILES WITHOUT SO MUCH AS AN OIL CHANGE, PLUG CHANGE OR COOLANT FLUSH! Nothing of the sort was made then, in North America, or Dai Nippon either at that time. I certainly have no page in the FSM stating, "Keep your fumbling incompetent fingers OFF this B/RB engine until the 200,000th mile, then TAKE IT TO AN APPROVED SHOP, where our Technicians will perform the Secret Spells to restore then engine you're really just LEASING FROM US (though we foster an illusion of ownership) which we designed to run on moonbeams and rainbow juice.

The latter hyperbole describes today's paradigm better than you might think. Even during the 1990s, while getting my BSEE, most of the University students then were SEVERELY mechanically challenged, IN THE COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING AND MINES! I scared the Humanities types too much for conversation, though one suspected I was going to whack a McDonalds one morning because I carried an Assault Stapler in my backpack..... The half dozen Kollege Keystone Kops that drew on me reluctantly conceded the improbability of that, after searching me at gunpoint. None of the gutless pukes in Mickee Dees thought this was wrong either.....

Last edited:
Back