Oil pump prime failure

I did have the motor at TDC when I pulled the oil pump gear began spinning the drill counterclockwise. I didn't yet begin turning the engine to actually allow the oil through the various parts of the valvetrain yet. It was less than five seconds once I felt the drill jolt and hear fluid moving before the filter burst open at the rolled end of the seam near the base of the filter. At least the pump is oiled now and should pick up oil faster when I try again tomorrow with the Wix filter.

You might pre-oil the filter a bit, for good measure. Put a little bit of oil in it, let it soak in, then a bit more and rotate it as if you were installing it, but not installing it. Should get the element oiled and ready for more oil. When you get ready to install the filter, store it vertically so the oil is still in it, then install it quickly so that what's in it won't come out, if possible. Do put a dab of oil on the rubber gasket, too. Not really necessary, especially on a horizontally-installed filter, but it can work better than if it was dry to start with, possibly.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

You might pre-oil the filter a bit, for good measure. Put a little bit of oil in it, let it soak in, then a bit more and rotate it as if you were installing it, but not installing it. Should get the element oiled and ready for more oil. When you get ready to install the filter, store it vertically so the oil is still in it, then install it quickly so that what's in it won't come out, if possible. Do put a dab of oil on the rubber gasket, too. Not really necessary, especially on a horizontally-installed filter, but it can work better than if it was dry to start with, possibly.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Why pour oil in the filter when he is going to prime it with a drill! Yes always necessary to put oil on the rubber seal of a new filter.

Last edited:
Blown up filter off. New wix filter on and gauge hooked up. Clicked the drill for and instant and pressure over 100psi . Time to drop the pump?

B2592CCD-2946-45F3-8441-57C6478DFB7E.jpeg

You should not be getting 100psi, pressure relief valve is stuck.

Dave

Well removing the pump was a PIA. Getting it back on will be worse. I see a large score on the outside rotor . It is strange to see a vertical mark. Some other horizontal scoring that looks like it could be buffed out. The relief valve plunger is stuck. Not sure I can get it out easily. Looking like time for a new oil pump?
4B861CFD-28E9-47E2-A474-979D2E17C95B.jpeg
BE1CBF9B-E550-4B71-B389-D626317B7135.jpeg

Well removing the pump was a PIA. Getting it back on will be worse. I see a large score on the outside rotor . It is strange to see a vertical mark. Some other horizontal scoring that looks like it could be buffed out. The relief valve plunger is stuck. Not sure I can get it out easily. Looking like time for a new oil pump?View attachment 385495View attachment 385496
Wow, didn't know they were even capable of 100 psi, thanks for the post!

Yes, new pump. Take apart and clean when you get it

It must have reached a much higher PSI when it blew the filter apart. Not sure if I damaged the wix filter from the brief test. It seems ok when I pulled it off other than the rubber gasket coming out of the groove. Any suggestions on the oil pump? I think I'll just grab the standard Melling M63 so I can get it here before the end of the week.

It must have reached a much higher PSI when it blew the filter apart. Not sure if I damaged the wix filter from the brief test. It seems ok when I pulled it off other than the rubber gasket coming out of the groove. Any suggestions on the oil pump? I think I'll just grab the standard Melling M63 so I can get it here before the end of the week.
Standard melling, that's what I've used and been happy with.

Back