OK, bring it on...

When I had a rash of problems (injectors, ac, flywheel came apart, etc) with my 89 C4, the guys at the dealership told me I was lucky that it was not a ZR1. Parts availability was really low at that time for the LT5. I swore off Corvettes for decades until recently. That great GM feeling had a different meaning to me, back then. The internet helps out greatly & I wouldn't be afraid to get another now. My Brother has a 94 and it's been a great car without any problems (knocking on wood :) )

Timely topic. I was going through an old hard drive to clean it up and I found this pic.
It was posted to a Corvette forum by the dealer who sold me my new 08 C6. He treated all his customers like royalty.

PicsArt_03-05-11.23.47.jpg

No gold chains.

[QUOTE="72Fury, the guys at the dealership told me I was lucky that it was not a ZR1. Parts availability was really low at that time for the LT5. :) )[/QUOTE]

The LT5 is the engine designation for the ZR1 package. As I understand it the warrantee on the LT5 was to remove and replace the entire engine intact with a crate engine. The engine was then shipped back to GM. If the engine were opened the warrantee was void. No service parts were made available, at least at first.
Which seemed weird to me as I had just spent a year and a half developing service procedures from which a service repair manual was published.

[QUOTE="72Fury, the guys at the dealership told me I was lucky that it was not a ZR1. Parts availability was really low at that time for the LT5. :) )

The LT5 is the engine designation for the ZR1 package. As I understand it the warrantee on the LT5 was to remove and replace the entire engine intact with a crate engine. The engine was then shipped back to GM. If the engine were opened the warrantee was void. No service parts were made available, at least at first.
Which seemed weird to me as I had just spent a year and a half developing service procedures from which a service repair manual was published.
[/QUOTE]

They had one tech at the dealership that was ZR1 certified, whatever that meant. I never saw a single ZR being worked on & my car went in numerous times, twice behind a wrecker.

[QUOTE="72Fury, the guys at the dealership told me I was lucky that it was not a ZR1. Parts availability was really low at that time for the LT5. :) )

[/QUOTE]
Ford did that in the late 90's w/the hand built and signed SVT Cobra 4.6... I saw them send a crate to replace a leaking timing cover... very plug and play, injectors harness, alternator... basically swap the compressor and P/S pump and it was done IIRC.

Buick did a lot of plug n play replacements in the 70's with the Turbo V6's.
Knowledge was so primitive back then with that new fangled thing called a turbocharger controlled by a black box.

Back