Once again...

I always assumed that was a 74+ changeover.
When did they stop running the entire power grid through a teensy gauge?
The '73 FSM shows that there was a shunt type ammeter in the big cars. Again, I just don't have a Chrysler FSM.

Shunt.jpg

I only have a '73 Dodge FSM, but it does show that wire with a fusible link. That does feed the ignition switch etc., so it could be a source of problems if the fusible link is compromised.

Doesn't look like a fusible link in my car. The two ends have a hard plastic housing where one snaps into the other with the male-female connector inside. The connectors are now blackish looking and the white housing is more brown. Should I take a picture of it?

The MAD "upgrade" isn't necessary on a '73 because the factory basically did the wiring much differently and the ammeter does not take the full amount of current through it like the older cars did.

Well, that's nice to know since that means I can leave the dash in place. So my ammeter maybe the only part that doesn't show burns marks unlike the connector above and the horseshoe connector under the dash. I assume those show it just from constant use?

The question is why do you not have 12.4 volts somewhere? The other is amperage creates field that collapses to make high voltage spark. Pushing more voltage into the primary side does not necessarily increase your voltage at the spark plug. Putting more pressure in your tires does not make them work better.
You have a problem that changing ignition systems is not fixing.

Working on things at this time and acquiring pieces. Will eliminate that somewhat burned male/female connector on that 8 ga wire. Just waiting for the 8 ga. non-insulated butt connectors to arrive as no one local had them. Put a trickle charger on the battery to bring it back up to where it should be after all the failed attempts. Have the HEI module, the bracket to mount under the distributor, the E-core coil with wiring harness, an inline 15 amp fuse, relay and all other connectors. Just need some 14 ga wire which amazingly I don't have.

Today I went down to the Hornet to poke around the two metal shops to see if I could find anything to make a bracket to hold the e-core coil. Don't want it on the firewall or fender apron but where the original coil is. Found a nice 3/32" piece of 3"x5.5" aluminum. Put a bend it in to make a base for the distributor hold down bolt and then made a cut out in the middle for the coil. Painted and bolted in the coil with four 8x32" screws, lock washers and nuts. So maybe this weekend all depending on those butt connectors.

Back