Opinions on converting from R12 to R134?

I would replace the thermal expansion valve. They are cheap and are supposed to be replaced any time the system is opened, although not every one does it.

So after reading everything and talking to everyone, I decided to convert to R134a to get something running at least, and now everything does work, but the compressor clutch is definitely on its way out, belt bounces pretty violently from the shaking, but it least assures there's no leaks and everything else works, since I had no idea what worked or what didn't since it's still a relatively new purchase.

Bought a Sanden 508 (UAC CO9285C) from RockAuto for pretty cheap, so that's on the way, my only question now is, knowing that everything works more or less fine, I know there are recommendations for upgrading several of the other components when upgrading the compressor, but besides the Bouchillon brackets, is there anything else 100% needed or required otherwise to get it working in the short term? And if not, what are the main bottlenecks for cooling efficiency when I do decide to bring the other components up to par in the future?

Thanks for everyone's help. For C Bodies Only may as well be the only website I browse these days since everywhere else I frequent has degraded so much it's not even worth bothering anymore. Stay frosty, gentlemen.
If you are going to the work of swapping to a new compressor, go all the way and include a new style condenser, expansion valve and definitely a receiver dryer plus whatever lines are needed to connect it all. You will wind up with a more efficient and effective system.

If you are going to the work of swapping to a new compressor, go all the way and include a new style condenser, expansion valve and definitely a receiver dryer plus whatever lines are needed to connect it all. You will wind up with a more efficient and effective system.

Yes. Bouchillon has all the stuff you need in a single kit.

Back