Painless Wiring needs your help!

BJS racing

Reaction score
So yesterday I was asked about getting some information about electronic ignition systems and wanted to see if any of you guys could help. We are going to build some "replacement" electronic ignition harnesses for the mopars and need to try and get some lengths on distributor to module. If any of you guys could measure the length from your distributor to the module and possibly post a pic or two of your under hood it would be greatly helpful. Thank you!

Jason Hamner
Painless Performance
Tech. Support

Interesting, I was just thinking about this with the voltage regulator that the wires needed to be longer to eliminate splicing them.

The problem I see is there might be too many combinations.

Module location. Are you mounting it in a factory or factory like location? On my 67 Barracuda mounted it under the battery tray as I didn't want it to be seen on a stock restoration that didn't have it. Likewise on my CHP restoration it will be mounted in the finder on the brace near the marker light.

Big Block/Small Block may make a difference.

On my 69 Polara where I mounted he module in the factory 73 location the distributor lead was long enough (maybe 6" too long).
As long as the coil wire is as long as the distributor it will be long enough but it can easily be cut down.
The power like the coil can be cut down easily (or extended)

Another option would be to make the distributor lead short and make extensions, the 73's basically did this as the module had a plug into the harness and another plug to the distributor.

Like I mentioned the voltage regulator harness should be long enough to get to the alternator, you can replace the green wire without needing to splice (I hate unneeded splices)

Alan

Alan, I think we are going to make it as a kit and you would finish building it yourself because of the fact of different locations and routing. Unless we do a BB kit and a SB kit. Just wanting to make sure we at least have enough there to cover what is needed.

I spliced the distributor leads on my Barracuda to make them longer, not sure it was a good idea as the original distributor wire are a different kind of wire.

I would say that the current one is probably a good length to use on both big block and small block if you are mounting the module in a factory like location.

Alan

My Polara had the EI module mounted on the left inner fender and routed poorly up and along the firewall then down to the distributor.

I will try to PM some photos .

My system is a bit short by a few inches but works.

Currently it is just under 4 ft

Here's a little mod that cleans up the wiring to the distributor and all the sensors on the front of the engine block.
A few years back I looked at my engine (383 BB ) and didn't like the wires running down the sides of the rocker covers.
I made a sub harness of good quality wire and slid it through fabric tube like used in original application. Looks nice,
heat protective. Then I slid the wiring under the air-gap intake to the front of the block where the coil, distributor and
temp sensor are. The turkey pan has insulation on top of it so there's no danger of the wires melting. Voila, mess gone.

Back