Paint for Grill

mopar_4life

Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently refinishing my headlight bezels on my 65 Polara. The chrome is cleaning up quite nicely but I need to paint the black accents. I believe I should use some enamel paint of some sort. I was thinking of going to TSC and getting some Tractor paint. Should It be gloss black, satin black, or flat black. How should I prep this? Should I just wipe it down with some soapy water? wax and tar remover?

Thanks

Eric

I have a similar project and am curious to see what the experienced guys say. I want to redo the blacked out area around my headlights and the trim the runs the length of the car. I'm leaning toward the satin, but since asked I'll wait to see what they say.

I have a similar project and am curious to see what the experienced guys say. I want to redo the blacked out area around my headlights and the trim the runs the length of the car. I'm leaning toward the satin, but since asked I'll wait to see what they say.

I was also leaning towards satin. But I would Like the experienced opinion also.

I think the factory did flat or something between flat and satin for most of that detailing. It seems to age into more of a satin and that's what people are more used to seeing.

Gloss never looks right.

I'd do satin. See how it looks on a sample part and go with it.

I picked up an NOS headlight bucket for my 65 a few years back and it sure looked like a satin finish to me.

Satin seems to be a good choice. Where would be a good place to get the paint? Should I try to tape it up an spray paint it or try to brush it on?

Thanks

Eric

Satin seems to be a good choice. Where would be a good place to get the paint? Should I try to tape it up an spray paint it or try to brush it on?

Thanks

Eric

Get some spray Krylon at Walmart. I think there's one on Rt11 just north of you. Wipe it down with a good solvent to clean it. I like lacquer thinner. Walmart should have something like that.

To mask it, I suggest buying some 3M Fine Line masking tape. I like to use 1/8" wide as that will follow almost any curve. That will give a much crisper edge, much cleaner than any paper tape. You may have to find a good auto paint store for that or even buy it online. Then I use whatever masking tape I find on sale to cover the rest.

Patience goes a long ways. If it doesn't come out, get out the lacquer thinner or acetone and wipe the paint off and try it again.

If o e wants to get anal then you have to remember that there is a difference between Satin black and semi gloss. The best way to describe the sheen of the paint you want to use is a gloss paint with 30% flattening agent to get it right. Satin come very close but some brands of semi gloss are too flat.

Get some spray Krylon at Walmart. I think there's one on Rt11 just north of you. Wipe it down with a good solvent to clean it. I like lacquer thinner. Walmart should have something like that.

To mask it, I suggest buying some 3M Fine Line masking tape. I like to use 1/8" wide as that will follow almost any curve. That will give a much crisper edge, much cleaner than any paper tape. You may have to find a good auto paint store for that or even buy it online. Then I use whatever masking tape I find on sale to cover the rest.

Patience goes a long ways. If it doesn't come out, get out the lacquer thinner or acetone and wipe the paint off and try it again.

I'll look for that tape. Thanks

Its funny you mention the Walmart... I can see it from my living room window.

Would lacquer thinner hurt the chrome at all? Also should I paint it first then polish the chrome?
I'll look at that paint.
Thanks again

I'll look for that tape. Thanks

Its funny you mention the Walmart... I can see it from my living room window.

Would lacquer thinner hurt the chrome at all? Also should I paint it first then polish the chrome?
I'll look at that paint.
Thanks again
Polish it first. Lacquer thinner won't hurt the chrome.

Back