Painted top

You could do a textured top in Monstaliner.

Magnet Paints

They've been out of the tintable liner base for much of 2021, but they hope to have it back in stock early next year.

I check the facebook group every so often for updates on availability.

Monstaliner Masters

Jeff

Whatever this is... 1 comment, crock of ****,

Rino Liner, same crock of ****, still have that opinion today as the first day I saw this at a show in the 1980's

Herculiner, I had first hand experience with this ****, never again, another crock of ****.

Rino Liner, same crock of ****, still have that opinion today as the first day I saw this at a show in the 1980's

Herculiner, I had first hand experience with this ****, never again, another crock of ****.

What a descriptive post...

How about some reasoning behind your highly esteemed opinion?

So a buddy of mine took his non-mopar to a shop that seals RV and travel trailer roofs. He had them shot the top of his car in their sealer after they did the normal prep. I don’t think it came out looking bad at all, but wonder if it will get the yellowish fade from the sun. They assured him that it would not, but time will tell. I just used some acetone and DEA to prep the roof on my 68. Then I use some “high quality” rattle can that I found on a closeout price. I was happy with how it turned out. And it’s much easier to look at my car because the roof was looking like the trunk lid with the surface rust and old faded crap rattle can.
DEA351CE-B256-4057-8B4C-26AAD62BCA65.jpeg
C004E446-F841-4069-BEB0-D2433C4E0AF6.jpeg
9C5E1E08-4EC7-40E6-A58D-D42CD24C87AE.jpeg
8C56E786-528A-4976-877A-611C7D8C0B28.jpeg
C9BB12A5-5F32-4548-8ACA-FBBB7D888ADF.jpeg

I priced out a new Vinyl top install for my 78 NYB and was quoted around 3k for a original type material installation.
I'm following this thread closely as a painted top is what I want to do.

If you want to compare and drive to Wisconsin try calling Dick Guerno of United Auto Trim...he and his three sons doing this for decades. He also has a large mount of remnants so maybe can save you money....... United Auto Trim Inc | Fond Du Lac | Wisconsin | United Cars

What a descriptive post...

How about some reasoning behind your highly esteemed opinion?
OK, how about this, back in the 80's a customer of mine asked me if I wanted to go down to the town yard too this equipment show, I said I read about that in the town newspaper and asked him why and what that was all about. He said it was something to get the young kids in town interested in the DPW for future employment, I sort of rolled my eyes and said I ain't paying too go to that, he answered me, no my brother runs the whole DPW (pre-indictment), we don't have to pay. He had just gotten a new plow truck and wanted me to see these (at the time) flashy strobe lights for a bolt in replacement to the marker/turn signal lights on new trucks and wanted my opinion. We looked at them and got the pitch from the rep, I told him it looked like quality kit and installation and gave him a installation price but just the kit price was like $300 so that put him off right away.

Next exhibit, onto 'RinoLiner' lol, he was thinking about it and he already had the plastic truck bed liner (which were pretty much the standard for pickups by then) in his wife's nice little grocery getter PU which was a 2wd C'something Chevy short bed, small block, trim package, 2 tone black/silver 4spd, nice little truck, but I guess his wife (and many others) bitched about things sliding around as they do with the plastic liners and he thought the grippy rubber spray on liner was the way to go. My first comment was that the slide'ee plastic had a advantage with heavy items to move them around and they can tear up the plastic but not that bad, I go, can you imagine trying to slide something on that rubber, your guys will tear that up right away, then you have a salt sand mix in the bed and your guys dig a pointy shovel into the rubber lining tearing it up then what do you do? Patch it?... bad idea, stay with the plastic liner and if you really worried about stuff getting between the liner and bed, pop it out every spring (like he does) and clean & dry it out.

One thing I noticed while we were leaning on the bed was how thick the coating was along the bed rails which made me think how many spray on coats does that take to get it to what it was like 1/4" thickness, we didn't get any pitch from a rep as no one was around just some pamphlet's, I advised him to stay with the plastic liner, I told him that's the show demo truck do you think a franchisee will spray on that much?

Fast forward 2 decades later to Herculiner... One day I go to work at the hospital and my wing man (related) coworker doesn't show up, he had mentioned to me the previous day that our supervisor was taking us off our regular duties to do something special. oh boy... So I get stuck doing this pickup truck, actually we started the job the day before ie the scotch pad scuffing of the paint and my co-worker that has been a painter most of his career knew it was gonna suck so conveniently bailed the next day leaving me to 'step up'. sheech. We were outside in the covered parking garage with very little breeze on a fairly hot day, our supervisor brings us a very dirty big pedestal shop fan that I think was in the welding shop as it spewed metal grinding bits all over the white paint we were scuffing up, then it grenade'd into sparks and ground to a halt <smh> I got stuck doing the application, epoxy ****, once you mix it you can't stop, my respirator was getting drowning wet from breath moisture, the fumes were very bad, don't remember if I got another fan, eventually I pitched the respirator (killed some brain cells that day) but I got it done.
I *****, and said to my supervisor that he should of put a plastic liner in it, he whinged about it having a power tailgate and cutting around for that would be a pain, and also commented on why I didn't mask the bedrails at the back by the tailgate to be rounded instead of a straight 90 tape corner. I go, is it your truck? Do you drive it? (it was a off campus truck) I mean WTF it's a company truck WGAS? The thing needed like 2/3/4 more coats to make it as thick as the illustrations on the web shows, the kit that they got from Grainger was like $125.00 a gallon with this dinky little roller which I later found the kits on fleaBay for like $30.00 a gallon 'cuz it SUCKS, LMAO.

Later on I went out one day from the office for a smoke break about a year later and the truck was parked right next to our roll off, I had too look, it was all scun'ed & scraped up with rust showing already through the scars of the thin coating.... stoooopid.

Even many years later I ran into my old supervisor at the Joe Robison Vintage Harley Show during BikeWeek and he had to remind me that I really 'Stepped Up' and got the job done on the bed lining job. At least he was on his 1978 FLH and had finally got the transmission fixed which I razed him about that as he knew I'd rebuilt 1970's Harleys and when he asked me if I knew how to 'fix' his Big Twin's transmission and I told him, sorry never had one apart, it's pretty simple thou, just get the factory service manual, my transmission shift's like butter even after 90,000 miles, 'CUZ IT HASN'T BEEN ABUSED!

Great little ending to all this is that on a recent "Good Day Daytona Live" local morning yapfest the host announced that the Hospital through a independent review board got a D rating for for a bunch of stuff mainly infections. ohh feck'in A... And the Port Orange Campus, where they shipped off my old supervisor 'cuz everyone else in the shop hated him, I thought he was pretty OK, but figured out he was also 'Related' to Admin, his campus got a "F".
This is a decade after the Hospital paid a 100 million dollar fine to settle a whistleblower MediCare fraud case. What's that saying? You can't make this **** up.

Study: AdventHealth Earns 'A' Grade, Halifax Health Grades Drop

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I priced out a new Vinyl top install for my 78 NYB and was quoted around 3k for a original type material installation.
I'm following this thread closely as a painted top is what I want to do.

My guy works just 4 miles up the road from his garage. Always in demand but you need to drop your car off like I did for a few days.

OK, how about this, back in the 80's a customer of mine asked me if I wanted to go down to the town yard too this equipment show, I said I read about that in the town newspaper and asked him why and what that was all about. He said it was something to get the young kids in town interested in the DPW for future employment, I sort of rolled my eyes and said I ain't paying too go to that, he answered me, no my brother runs the whole DPW (pre-indictment), we don't have to pay. He had just gotten a new plow truck and wanted me to see these (at the time) flashy strobe lights for a bolt in replacement to the marker/turn signal lights on new trucks and wanted my opinion. We looked at them and got the pitch from the rep, I told him it looked like quality kit and installation and gave him a installation price but just the kit price was like $300 so that put him off right away.

Next exhibit, onto 'RinoLiner' lol, he was thinking about it and he already had the plastic truck bed liner (which were pretty much the standard for pickups by then) in his wife's nice little grocery getter PU which was a 2wd C'something Chevy short bed, small block, trim package, 2 tone black/silver 4spd, nice little truck, but I guess his wife (and many others) bitched about things sliding around as they do with the plastic liners and he thought the grippy rubber spray on liner was the way to go. My first comment was that the slide'ee plastic had a advantage with heavy items to move them around and they can tear up the plastic but not that bad, I go, can you imagine trying to slide something on that rubber, your guys will tear that up right away, then you have a salt sand mix in the bed and your guys dig a pointy shovel into the rubber lining tearing it up then what do you do? Patch it?... bad idea, stay with the plastic liner and if you really worried about stuff getting between the liner and bed, pop it out every spring (like he does) and clean & dry it out.

One thing I noticed while we were leaning on the bed was how thick the coating was along the bed rails which made me think how many spray on coats does that take to get it to what it was like 1/4" thickness, we didn't get any pitch from a rep as no one was around just some pamphlet's, I advised him to stay with the plastic liner, I told him that's the show demo truck do you think a franchisee will spray on that much?

Fast forward 2 decades later to Herculiner... One day I go to work at the hospital and my wing man (related) coworker doesn't show up, he had mentioned to me the previous day that our supervisor was taking us off our regular duties to do something special. oh boy... So I get stuck doing this pickup truck, actually we started the job the day before ie the scotch pad scuffing of the paint and my co-worker that has been a painter most of his career knew it was gonna suck so conveniently bailed the next day leaving me to 'step up'. sheech. We were outside in the covered parking garage with very little breeze on a fairly hot day, our supervisor brings us a very dirty big pedestal shop fan that I think was in the welding shop as it spewed metal grinding bits all over the white paint we were scuffing up, then it grenade'd into sparks and ground to a halt <smh> I got stuck doing the application, epoxy ****, once you mix it you can't stop, my respirator was getting drowning wet from breath moisture, the fumes were very bad, don't remember if I got another fan, eventually I pitched the respirator (killed some brain cells that day) but I got it done.
I *****, and said to my supervisor that he should of put a plastic liner in it, he whinged about it having a power tailgate and cutting around for that would be a pain, and also commented on why I didn't mask the bedrails at the back by the tailgate to be rounded instead of a straight 90 tape corner. I go, is it your truck? Do you drive it? (it was a off campus truck) I mean WTF it's a company truck WGAS? The thing needed like 2/3/4 more coats to make it as thick as the illustrations on the web shows, the kit that they got from Grainger was like $125.00 a gallon with this dinky little roller which I later found the kits on fleaBay for like $30.00 a gallon 'cuz it SUCKS, LMAO.

Later on I went out one day from the office for a smoke break about a year later and the truck was parked right next to our roll off, I had too look, it was all scun'ed & scraped up with rust showing already through the scars of the thin coating.... stoooopid.

Even many years later I ran into my old supervisor at the Joe Robison Vintage Harley Show during BikeWeek and he had to remind me that I really 'Stepped Up' and got the job done on the bed lining job. At least he was on his 1978 FLH and had finally got the transmission fixed which I razed him about that as he knew I'd rebuilt 1970's Harleys and when he asked me if I knew how to 'fix' his Big Twin's transmission and I told him, sorry never had one apart, it's pretty simple thou, just get the factory service manual, my transmission shift's like butter even after 90,000 miles, 'CUZ IT HASN'T BEEN ABUSED!

Great little ending to all this is that on a recent "Good Day Daytona Live" local morning yapfest the host announced that the Hospital through a independent review board got a D rating for for a bunch of stuff mainly infections. ohh feck'in A... And the Port Orange Campus, where they shipped off my old supervisor 'cuz everyone else in the shop hated him, I thought he was pretty OK, but figured out he was also 'Related' to Admin, his campus got a "F".
This is a decade after the Hospital paid a 100 million dollar fine to settle a whistleblower MediCare fraud case. What's that saying? You can't make this **** up.

Study: AdventHealth Earns 'A' Grade, Halifax Health Grades Drop

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I liked your first post better. It was much more poetic.

So I've gotten the majority of the glue off. I need to go get acetone and some razor blades from the hardware store to finish getting the super sticky spots. There must be 10,000 tiny little blotches the size of bb's all across the roof, just glue patches. I've never seen this before in my life. A wire brush actually took up the majority of the glue when I did this. Downside was having to spray all the dust off with a hose.

I'm seeing a repaint in the future. Someone backed into my car with their bumper and it has a slight dent in it. Took those suction cups to try and pull it out and didn't work. Moved on to a dent in my F100 and it left 3 circular burgundy marks on my baby blue F100. ‍♂️♂️♂️

I think this summer along with my other plans I am going to repaint the whole car back to factory color. May even install a new vynil top when this happens too.

Lots of plans and changes coming

So I've gotten the majority of the glue off. I need to go get acetone and some razor blades from the hardware store to finish getting the super sticky spots. There must be 10,000 tiny little blotches the size of bb's all across the roof, just glue patches. I've never seen this before in my life. A wire brush actually took up the majority of the glue when I did this. Downside was having to spray all the dust off with a hose.

I'm seeing a repaint in the future. Someone backed into my car with their bumper and it has a slight dent in it. Took those suction cups to try and pull it out and didn't work. Moved on to a dent in my F100 and it left 3 circular burgundy marks on my baby blue F100. ‍♂️♂️♂️
Ahh I think vinyl top glue is just contact cement and depending if it's original or may have been done (over) in the last couple of decades could be some EPA enviro adhesive, but with any sticky left over glue residue try many different solvents to get results, in the old days if all else failed use gasoline and I'm not talking E85 I'm talking Leaded gas, bare hands too.

Sometimes soaking a large towel in say diesel or any other solvent that doesn't evaporate very fast and laying on the glue and letting it work it's 'Magic' say over night can soften the stuff up.

Of course if your vinyl roof is a original application the glue could be 'Petrified'

:rofl:

Ahh I think vinyl top glue is just contact cement and depending if it's original or may have been done (over) in the last couple of decades could be some EPA enviro adhesive, but with any sticky left over glue residue try many different solvents to get results, in the old days if all else failed use gasoline and I'm not talking E85 I'm talking Leaded gas, bare hands too.

Sometimes soaking a large towel in say diesel or any other solvent that doesn't evaporate very fast and laying on the glue and letting it work it's 'Magic' say over night can soften the stuff up.

Of course if your vinyl roof is a original application the glue could be 'Petrified'

:rofl:
I believe given its a 41,000 mile car it would have the original top. It was sparked inside 25 years and outside like another 15-20

20211217_133418.jpg
20211217_135300.jpg
20211217_142549.jpg
20211217_145248.jpg
20211217_153829.jpg

Got the top painted. Love the way it turned out! Its not the greatest looking but I have all the chrome on it rn so it looks pretty decent. Here it is parked in the shop:
20211217_204430.jpg

I used a wire brush to take most of the old glue off. I took some acetone and a rag and wiped the whole roof and let it sit overnight. The next morning I went out with a towel and all the glue came up when wiped. No problems.

I also did some touch up on the paint with the original color. I'm going to buff out the paint with a compound, polish, and a wax so it all matches again.

I have been using these stripping discs for decades to clean and prep the metal for work.

https://www.eastwood.com/stripping-disc-7in.html

Polara_top_011.JPG

Back