Part # Headlight motor kit?

Mike Browne

Reaction score
Need part # for the Head light motor repair kit. 68 300. I fixed the motor switch. It worked good for the last month or so and then the gear striped. Old plastic?

This guy sells a reproduction gear. Products / Services

I have a motor that was "rebuilt" by him. Nice gear, but I wouldn't use his other services.

I gave up on fixing my motor. Can not find a gear kit. Just spent $300 on a Ebay NOS motor I hope. Just need to move on to the next project on the car.

Need part # for the Head light motor repair kit. 68 300. I fixed the motor switch. It worked good for the last month or so and then the gear striped. Old plastic?

I'm not familiar with the inner workings of this particular headlight motor, but a number of these motors use the same gear/guts as a Ford power window motor. Anybody got a picture of the '68 300 motor to compare the bits?

I'm not familiar with the inner workings of this particular headlight motor, but a number of these motors use the same gear/guts as a Ford power window motor. Anybody got a picture of the '68 300 motor to compare the bits?
After I get the new motor. I will open and post a picture of the old motor.

I kind of doubt that. The motor itself (armature, case etc) might use some of the same components, but the mechanism on the head is going to be quite different. Some pictures on this thread, starting at post #1409. It continues off and on for a couple pages.
1969 Imperial progress thread

I do think the Ford window motor shares a lot with the Mopar version. I bought some delrin rollers off Ebay for a Ford that will fit my Mopar.

Last edited:
I kind of doubt that. The motor itself (armature, case etc) might use some of the same components, but the mechanism on the head is going to be quite different. Some pictures on this thread, starting at post #1409. It continues off and on for a couple pages.
1969 Imperial progress thread
I have seen that same gear on Ebay new for sale. It is not the same gear as my 68 300 one. My motor works fine the gear is bad and the contacts are poor.

I have seen that same gear on Ebay new for sale. It is not the same gear as my 68 300 one. My motor works fine the gear is bad and the contacts are poor.
The repop gear is a little different. It's not a full 360° like the original is. The repop is 180°. But it works because it only rotates 90°. I would think that was done to save some tooling cost.

That is assuming that the 68 motor is the same as the 69 and later motor. I'm not 100% certain but I believe it is.

I think the size of the thumbwheel on the end was the only difference through the years.

s-l1600.jpg

headlamps-motor-023_bildgr%C3%B6%C3%9Fe-%C3%A4ndern-jpg.45916

headlamps-motor-170_bildgr%C3%B6%C3%9Fe-%C3%A4ndern-jpg.45917

Back