part numbers for heat/AC vacuum switch?

I did some testing on the different PN's for those AC switches. My notes show that
PN: 3502126 runs the fan on low with key on and all buttons off.
PN: 3895790 runs the compressor constantly when in defrost mode
Those two switches were the only ones that had differences in the ones I tested.
PN: 2571501, 2820487, 3431020, and 3895033 were the other switches I had and all operated the same without the differences of the other two.

That said, From my testing, your fan should run on low but the compressor should not with everything off except the key.
At fist a big thank you for you input and sharing your notes with us :)

So with that beeing said it´s right that my blower now runs all the time (means the the NOS vac switch is fine) ? TBO can´t really see a reason why they build it that way? don´t need the blower motor most of the time....

Plymouth 1968-1974 NOS OEM MoPAR A/C Heater Vacuum Switch 3502126 5 Button Type | eBay

NOS OEM Five Button MoPar A/C Heater Vacuum Push Button Switch OEM Number 3502126. This is a new switch with 7 vacuum hose nipples and 5 electrical terminals. This replaces many different MoPar switches (3431020, 2820487, 3895033, 3895790).

From my testing on these switches, they are not all the same.
3502126 runs the fan on low with ignition on and everything else off.
3895790 runs the compressor constantly when in defrost mode
Those were the differences I found when testing and comparing them to 2571501, 2820487, 3431017, 3431020 and 3895033
Not sure any of this helps but for sure, the compressor should not run with everything off. I only wanted to confirm the fact that they are not all the same.

My vacuum actuators still don´t move an inch. I already checked engine vacuum (16HG) and checked my vacuum reservoir (works fine! ) but yet nothing changes when pushing the buttons...
I read somewhere that the vacuum "T" on the intake manifold...where the brake booster and the small vacuum hose that feeds the vacuum reservoir...can get restricted with debris. I used a short piece of wire to ream out the T where the small hose connects....don't know if it helped or not, but there was a lot of debris in there...definitely partially blocked.

At fist a big thank you for you input and sharing your notes with us :)

So with that beeing said it´s right that my blower now runs all the time (means the the NOS vac switch is fine) ? TBO can´t really see a reason why they build it that way? don´t need the blower motor most of the time......
So it looks like my NOS switch is bad....so the blower is supposed to run all the time. I guess that's okay, but the compressor should not be running in "HEAT" and "OFF" modes as my NOS switch is doing. I guess I just need another switch. Still waiting to hear from OER about the repro switch functioin.

From my testing on these switches, they are not all the same.
3502126 runs the fan on low with ignition on and everything else off.
3895790 runs the compressor constantly when in defrost mode
Those were the differences I found when testing and comparing them to 2571501, 2820487, 3431017, 3431020 and 3895033
Not sure any of this helps but for sure, the compressor should not run with everything off. I only wanted to confirm the fact that they are not all the same.
I just copied the description from the ebay auction.....that guys said that the one switch replaces them all.

@PM27G0D not sure if yours is broken. I am still thinking that mine is broken too. As I said why should they want the blower beeing on low all the time??? There is no reason for...

I just copied the description from the ebay auction.....that guys said that the one switch replaces them all.

@PM27G0D not sure if yours is broken. I am still thinking that mine is broken too. As I said why should they want the blower beeing on low all the time??? There is no reason for...
I too went through the mis-information that these switches are all the same. I bought one from Rick Ehernberg (tech writer for Mopar Action) a few years ago and he told me the same thing. That was when I found out they do not all work the same. I am using the 3502126 switch that runs the fan on low in place of the correct switch for my 68 Charger which is 2820487 that does not run the fan constantly. Ehernberg told me they are all superseded numbers for the same switch but they are not.
He didn't like hearing that since he is a very knowledgeable guy but none of us know it all.

Last edited:
I too went through the mis-information that these switches are all the same. I bought one from Rick Ehernberg (tech writer for Mopar Action) a few years ago and he told me the same thing. That was when I found out they do not all work the same. I am using the 3502126 switch that runs the fan on low in place of the correct switch for my 68 Charger which is 2820487 that does not run the fan constantly. Ehernberg told me they are all superseded numbers for the same switch but they are not.
He didn't like hearing that since he is a very knowledgeable guy but none of us know it all.
Have you had any experience or seen any reviews on htis reproduction? I can't find any meaningful reviews on it. I assume that with the part number they use on it, that it will run the compressor in defrost mode...which is ok with me. Still waiting to hear back from OER about how it functions.
3895790 - 1960-74 Mopar AC and /Heater Control Switch ; A, B, E, Body Models

I thought you bought the 3431020 switch. That switch should operate correctly in that it shouldn't run the compressor or the blower motor all the time.
If you have the 3895790 then the compressor should run in defrost mode according to the ones I tested. I have not seen any reviews on the 3895790 but I don't believe it to be the same for all of the vehicles the claim it is for.
If you have the 3502126 then the fan runs on low anytime the ignition is on unless you adjust the fan speed to med or high.
I don't claim to have any insight on these switches other than the ones I tested and who know if they were correct. I only know that they functioned the way I described. IMO, there is no reason why they shouldn't all work the same and just be a superseded part number
My 68 Charger has the time delay switch mounted in the heater box that runs the compressor for a short time in defrost mode so there is no need to run the compressor constantly in defrost mode.

I thought you bought the 3431020 switch. That switch should operate correctly in that it shouldn't run the compressor or the blower motor all the time.
If you have the 3895790 then the compressor should run in defrost mode according to the ones I tested. I have not seen any reviews on the 3895790 but I don't believe it to be the same for all of the vehicles the claim it is for.
If you have the 3502126 then the fan runs on low anytime the ignition is on unless you adjust the fan speed to med or high.
I don't claim to have any insight on these switches other than the ones I tested and who know if they were correct. I only know that they functioned the way I described. IMO, there is no reason why they shouldn't all work the same and just be a superseded part number
My 68 Charger has the time delay switch mounted in the heater box that runs the compressor for a short time in defrost mode so there is no need to run the compressor constantly in defrost mode.
Let’s say the 2126 switch is made for running the blower all the time I just got the wrong replacement for my 1020 because I believed in the guys who sold it to me that they were the same . What to do now is the question . Before I look for a 1020 one I wanna make the vac actuators work . For no reason I know they still don’t move although I got tough vac !

Let’s say the 2126 switch is made for running the blower all the time I just got the wrong replacement for my 1020 because I believed in the guys who sold it to me that they were the same . What to do now is the question . Before I look for a 1020 one I wanna make the vac actuators work . For no reason I know they still don’t move although I got tough vac !
I think your problem is in the vacuum. You are losing the vacuum somewhere from the engine to the heater control switch. Maybe plugged or pinched. You will need to trace that hose through the firewall and verify you have vacuum to the switch. If all the hoses are hooked up correctly you should be good to go. It sounds like you are not getting any vacuum to the switch since nothing changes when you go from defrost to heat or AC.

I think your problem is in the vacuum. You are losing the vacuum somewhere from the engine to the heater control switch. Maybe plugged or pinched. You will need to trace that hose through the firewall and verify you have vacuum to the switch. If all the hoses are hooked up correctly you should be good to go. It sounds like you are not getting any vacuum to the switch since nothing changes when you go from defrost to heat or AC.
As I checked engine vacuum and the reservoir and both are great I really need to to do that next , you’re 100% right . Next thing I’ll do

As I checked engine vacuum and the reservoir and both are great I really need to to do that next , you’re 100% right . Next thing I’ll do
Do you hear any vacuum noise from the switch when you change modes? I can hear it on mine.

I really can´t tell if I hear anything. I´d say NO but I never put my ear next to it when pushing the buttons with engine running. But I will chase the problem down hoping the switch is doing alright. I am actually not sure yet If I keep the NOS switch because I am not sure if I want my blower be on all the time....kinda noisy...

Amazon product ASIN B09LYMS3KJ
Do you have something like this? You can use the gauge to measure vacuum at different places, and use the hand pump to manually move the actuators to check them.

Also handy for brake bleeding and engine tuneups
I do have a vacuum gauge thats how I tuned my carb and checked vac on Brake booster port and made sure vac reservoir holds vac like it should. But unfortunatly I dont have a pump......

Even with just the gauge, you should be able to test the switch & the hoses going to the actuators. Could help narrow down some of the problems.

Even with just the gauge, you should be able to test the switch & the hoses going to the actuators. Could help narrow down some of the problems.
Thats absolutely right . Next time I am at the car its the first thing I´ll do. I rebuild the heater box and lubed all the mechanics so it should move easily....

Thats absolutely right . Next time I am at the car its the first thing I´ll do. I rebuild the heater box and lubed all the mechanics so it should move easily....
I had to replace all 3 actuators. Defrost actuator, fresh/recirculate and the temperature control actuator.
The switch also was bad to get power to the AC clutch.
I haven’t read (maybe I missed it) where either of you ohm’d out the switch or checked power in various modes.?!?

I had to replace all 3 actuators. Defrost actuator, fresh/recirculate and the temperature control actuator.
The switch also was bad to get power to the AC clutch.
I haven’t read (maybe I missed it) where either of you ohm’d out the switch or checked power in various modes.?!?
Morning Bud,

I didnt ohm the old neither the new switch out but I would love to but dont know the right numbers I need to get to make sure switch is fine. I wouldn´t mind replacing the actuators if they are bad. YOu think the membran gets old and brittle inside the doses? Or what do you mean by actuator?

Morning Bud,

I didnt ohm the old neither the new switch out but I would love to but dont know the right numbers I need to get to make sure switch is fine. I wouldn´t mind replacing the actuators if they are bad. YOu think the membran gets old and brittle inside the doses? Or what do you mean by actuator?
I found that the actuators diaphragms developed a leak in more than one way: I had one that had a loose seal to the rod that passed through it and another had a loose diaphragm (or tear-I don’t remember) around the edge of it.

I recommend that you check the electrical function of the switch before you dig into the diaphragms.

I remember verifying the compressor operation before tackling the actuators.

Back