part time problem

marty koirtyohann

Reaction score
my 72 new yorker has had a part time problem . the steering wil cautch/lock up when im turning left . we thought it was cause the pump was leaking & then we found out it had the wrong pump to we changed that . everything seemed fine till i was out d\for a short drive & as i was turning left (about a 1/4-1/2 revolution of the wheel it almost made me have a accident . so i got her home & parked her . we tried to make it do it in the driveway & it wouldn't till i had it in gear & my foot on the brake & it seamed like it got caught on something . then it released . we couldn't get it to do again to save our selves so we drove it around town my cousin drove it & 2 times it kind of did it . when it dose u can feel & hear a "tick" sound in the steering will .it feels like a pin getting hung/caught someplace . ? we looked all over on the outside , under the hood nothing is hitting . we r # a lose . anyone have any ideas ?

Check the steering column just above the steering gear. The catching is a classic symptom of a failing rag joint.

Dave

ok we looked @ it (from what we can c if it with that can over it ) it looks good . thanks for yur though

102585658_285297349503882_1116650092530423696_n.jpg

102380597_2646463568923316_4456654662254697444_n.jpg

You can probably get a better look at the rag joint with a mirror held close to the shaft. Look for cracks in the rubber isolator. It that a hose clamp I see holding the top of the gear coupling in place? If so when the steering shaft is trying to come out of the top of the coupling, the coupling needs to be taken apart and and inspected for excessive wear. The steering column is adjustable to compensate for excessive end play in the coupling. The FSM give instructions on how to do this adjustment. If you take it apart, be sure to pack it with grease when you put it back together.

Dave

It's probably what's INSIDE the coupler that's causing the issue, not in the outside.

Of course, an intermittent problem can be the worst thing to have to duplicate.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

You can probably get a better look at the rag joint with a mirror held close to the shaft. Look for cracks in the rubber isolator. It that a hose clamp I see holding the top of the gear coupling in place? If so when the steering shaft is trying to come out of the top of the coupling, the coupling needs to be taken apart and and inspected for excessive wear. The steering column is adjustable to compensate for excessive end play in the coupling. The FSM give instructions on how to do this adjustment. If you take it apart, be sure to pack it with grease when you put it back together.

Dave
the hose clamp was on it when i got it i have no idea when it wsas put on thim the 3rd owner

Dave
we know thatmy cousin has done that to his satellite

locking steering column? lock pin not retracting fully?
that is what i think it is ,but my master mechanic cousin dose not think so but of his cars is down this weekend with a bad RV2 AC COMPRESSOR SO I'M ON THE BACK shelf again ,i dont have the skill ,tools or know how to do it, so i have to wait till he can get to it again

Folks sometimes have problems with the top cover of the steering coupling popping off and install a clamp to hold it in place. The loose cover can happen if the internal components of the coupling are worn out or if the steering column has been installed with the shaft riding too high in the coupling. If the shaft is trying to disengage from the coupling, that could also be the source of you locking up issue.

Dave

Folks sometimes have problems with the top cover of the steering coupling popping off and install a clamp to hold it in place. The loose cover can happen if the internal components of the coupling are worn out or if the steering column has been installed with the shaft riding too high in the coupling. If the shaft is trying to disengage from the coupling, that could also be the source of you locking up issue.

Dave
ok on mine it is held in place with clips& they r good

Check the steering column just above the steering gear. The catching is a classic symptom of a failing rag joint.

Dave
its good .& it isnt like it dose it all the time it did it 4 times so far infact i drove it yesterday aound town & made a gas run of 30 miles & it wouldn't do it now that im trying to get it to act up .im stumped

Did 72 have the column ignition lock, yet?
have not checked anything yet my mechanic (cousin) is working on his rv2 ac today for the 4th time this is #4 compressor that has locked up & sheared the key from the clutch , but we think we found out Y they was doing that . he filled the compressor with oil to the mark like the directions said well we think all the oil in the system was draining back into the v\compressor over the winter & what he uses it for the first time in the spring with the compressor being over fukk it has a hydrostatic lock of sorts the piston comes up it cant cause of all the oil so something has to give & its the keyway of the clutch . so maybe we will look @ it sunday if he gets done with his 1973 satellite

Back