Parts are available!

Scoopy G

Reaction score
Hello gents. I am working on my new New Yorker, 1965 flavor. Things are going along great as I work on the brakes, then on to the engine bay.

QUESTION: How is it possible that I can walk in to an Auto Zone/Reilly's/Advance/NAPA and ask for wheel cylinders/brake hardware/ hoses/water pump, AND EVERY PLACE HAS THESE PARTS ON THE SHELF FOR A 56-YEAR-OLD CAR? Pardon all the capital letters...

Obviously it's great to have such parts so easily available, but I just have to marvel at the fact that I can buy these parts right down the street. Sure, old cars used the same parts for a lot of years and a lot of models, but it just seems amazing that these parts are available for cars that are almost 60 years old.

113_0536.JPG

65 nyer.jpg

113_0527.JPG

Hello gents. I am working on my new New Yorker, 1965 flavor. Things are going along great as I work on the brakes, then on to the engine bay.

QUESTION: How is it possible that I can walk in to an Auto Zone/Reilly's/Advance/NAPA and ask for wheel cylinders/brake hardware/ hoses/water pump, AND EVERY PLACE HAS THESE PARTS ON THE SHELF FOR A 56-YEAR-OLD CAR? Pardon all the capital letters...

Obviously it's great to have such parts so easily available, but I just have to marvel at the fact that I can buy these parts right down the street. Sure, old cars used the same parts for a lot of years and a lot of models, but it just seems amazing that these parts are available for cars that are almost 60 years old.

View attachment 485961

View attachment 485962

View attachment 485963
With Chrysler's superior engineering and Elwood's styling, no surprise that these well built cars are still on the road.
Some of the brake parts were also used in truck applications,so supply and demand play in their availability.
Also some Phord brake parts interchange with Mopar.

As long as you are willing to utilize 100 % Chineseum garbage on your ride.... Check the labels....
Wuhan specials....

Where do you buy the good stuff?

Nice pair of cars. I have a soft spot for the early Riverias.
Many componants, such as wheel cylinders, master cylinders can be rebuilt, (best choice).
Rock Auto offers a wide selection of OEM
quality stuff. I try to avoid the Chinese stuff from the big box stores.

Thanks fellows for the information. I did use Rock Auto a few years back for a Volvo 122 I re-commissioned. It seemed their parts were something akin to NOS, with emphasis on OLD. I recall sending most of it back to them.

The auto store parts I've used on the last half-dozen cars I've re-commissioned have proved to work out just fine. Tell me I'm wrong, but when it comes to getting new parts for marginally-desirable classic 60-year-old Mopars, I feel grateful that I can find any of this stuff, let alone off the shelf at the store just down the street.

Notwithstanding the quality issue, a lot of the parts which are easily available locally may be because they were used on Dodge vans up into the mid 1980's....

Back