Photos of Vintage Auto Dealerships, Repair Shops, and Gas Stations

_nc_ohc=pHZVuGZNHJoAX_BKUD-&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.jpg

Sneed’s Store and Service Station opened in 1930.
Bon Air, Virginia
(Bon Air is in Chesterfield County and now a portion resides in Richmond because the City of Richmond decided to annex it).

Is this a '41 Studebaker?

sneeds-store.jpg

edit:
Wherever this was located on Huguenot Rd / VA State Route 147, it is long gone and the land is underneath several inches of macadam and maybe some asphalt on top.

Last edited:
Probably 1,000s of little basic brick and wood joints like this. This story, Perry GA has a happy ending. Now a gas station museum.

Anytime any of you are driving the "backroads" (state highways, not the interstates obviously), you will see these little places with the canopies and position vs. the road, you just KNOW they were gas stations as much as a century ago.

Recall, canopies were among the first architectural 'revolutions" in gas station history.. something basic like keep the rain/sun off ya while fueling up helped attract people to one station vs. another. That selling feature still exists today as we all know.

This one is near today's I-75 (on US hwy 41 about a mile from I-75 intersection).

Yeah, I know. Like our beloved C's, you can't save all the old, cool stuff. Its just neat to see a few live on.

You can imagine the Model T's fueling up here 120 years ago. Maybe even a forward look Mopar in the late 1950's too. :)

source: Group raises $59,000 to save historic Georgia gas station

Excerpt of story from 2019

PERRY, Ga. (AP) – Fenced in as a potential safety hazard, the vacant former gas station where Depression-era motorists once fueled their Model T Fords in this rural Georgia city was facing demolition until a group of preservationists raised $59,000 to help save it.

The small building only covers about 240 square feet (22 sq. meters). Loudermilk said it was constructed by Henry Matthews, who sold gas there — largely to motorists passing through on trips to Florida — until he retired in 1978. A new owner opened a barbecue restaurant there for years.

Now the property is owned by the city, which surrounded the historic gas station with a fence because of fears the structure’s canopy is unstable.

circa 2012 - as a barbeque joint, 34 years after it was last a gas station,
1681044729476.png

circa 2022 - after a successful local campaign (city money and local donations) to save it.
1681044894470.png

1681045696646.png
1681045443026.png

Last edited:
Probably 1,000s of little basic brick and wood joints like this. This story, Perry GA has a happy ending. Now a gas station museum.

Anytime any of you are driving the "backroads" (state highways, not the interstates obviously), you will see these little places with the canopies and position vs. the road, you just KNOW they were gas stations as much as a century ago.

Recall, canopies were among the first architectural 'revolutions" in gas station history.. something basic like keep the rain/sun off ya while fueling up helped attract people to one station vs. another. That selling feature still exists today as we all know.

This one is near today's I-75 (on US hwy 41 about a mile from I-75 intersection).

Yeah, I know. Like our beloved C's, you can't save all the old, cool stuff. Its just neat to see a few live on.

You can imagine the Model T's fueling up here 120 years ago. Maybe even a forward look Mopar in the late 1950's too. :)

PERRY, Ga. (AP) – Fenced in as a potential safety hazard, the vacant former gas station where Depression-era motorists once fueled their Model T Fords in this rural Georgia city was facing demolition until a group of preservationists raised $59,000 to help save it.

The small building only covers about 240 square feet (22 sq. meters). Loudermilk said it was constructed by Henry Matthews, who sold gas there — largely to motorists passing through on trips to Florida — until he retired in 1978. A new owner opened a barbecue restaurant there for years.

Now the property is owned by the city, which surrounded the historic gas station with a fence because of fears the structure’s canopy is unstable.

View attachment 590716
circa 2022 - after a successful local campaign (city money and local donations) to save it.
View attachment 590717

View attachment 590719View attachment 590718
The region between Kildare and Augusta, Georgia "has seen better days" in the past. Maybe it was better traveled and more vibrant before I-95 was constructed to the east.

sources: Group raises $59,000 to save historic Georgia gas station, Dinty's Service Station and Cafe, Biggs Junction, Oregon - OHS Digital Collections

From the 1950's and earlier. Dinty's Service Station and Cafe, Biggs Juntion, Oregon.

Before the big reveal. Whaddayah think. Still there?

1681046127619.png
0000816245-1.jpg
d371eb6a-4d66-4295-a601-5b88dc448632-OrgLot1275_B1_u_451.jpg

Not sure exactly on the real estate.

Gas station vs. vs. motel vs. cafe vs. whatever else WAS there, historical aerials shows NOTHING there in 1947, not even a bridge - no Highway 97 , no I-84 - over the Columbia River.

But at that general location (Biggs Rufus Hwy at Sherman Hwy), something called "Dinty's" (no gas station at a house) still exists.

circa 2022

1681060438423.png

circa 1947
ENGINE SHUT-DOWN CYLINDER.png

circa 2022
1681046724162.png

Last edited:
8620c49d-d527-4727-a943-876b571e5785.jpeg

It is now a bakery and eatery.
edd95589-89dd-4417-9ccb-716973499190.jpeg
b394b9a7-ce41-4ee8-96a7-2248c48d348e.jpg
Screenshot_20230409-193047~2.png

116 N. Laurel St.
Springfield, Georgia

Springfield is the county seat for Effingham.

View attachment 590716
View attachment 590717

View attachment 590719View attachment 590718
Wow, that station looks great now! So glad they cared enough to really bring it back the right way!

Back