Pics of 69-73 C bodies

ll-oconnor-and-ernest-borgnine-in-law-and-disorder.jpg

motorists-were-stopped-by-the-state-police.jpg

Motorists were stopped by the state police when they exceeded the 55 mile an hour limit on highways which had a previous limit of 70. The action was done to conserve fuel during the crisis in the pacific northeast. This is on 80 n east of Portland. Image courtesy National Archives, United States, 1973. (Photo by Smith Collection/Gado/Getty Images).

Def not 69-70. The damage is extensive but those are stacked headlights, which puts it at 65-68.
65-66 have the headlights very vertical, while 67-68 are slanted forward. 69 & 70 have the headlights in the grille, with formed-metal at the fender tips.
View attachment 586171

Can't be certain if the headlights are slanted forward, but the 65-66 had round mirrors and a straight line at top of doors with bigger trim in that location.
67 had round mirrors but introduced a noticeable rise rearward of the doors, with narrower trim (like the wrecked one).
68 introduced flag mirrors that the wrecked one clearly has, and looks to be mounted near the rear of the vent window as appropriate.
I can't fully reconcile the damage at the cornering light to any of them, though.

I would put this wrecked car as a 1968 - unless someone changed the mirrors and did the necessary paintwork on a 67, which was just ~5 years old at the time.

View attachment 5861751967
View attachment 586172

View attachment 586173

View attachment 586174
Good catch. I didn't notice the stacked headlights before. was looking at the back end fins. I'd say it's definitely either a '67 or '68 model. The car just looks sportier with the round mirrors. GM used those square mirrors for many years.

I'd love to see the other side of this one.
The gap at the top rear corner of the door, and the buckles in the roof, makes me wonder if the driver side of the car is no longer a straight line.
Regardless, I'm amazed the back window isn't broken (or is it? hard to tell where exactly the brakelight housing is sitting).

1678556582626.png

When it comes to Patrol Cars, this will always be my all-time favorite! Picture taken by a friend of mine, Sergeant Tammy Winn of the KCSD. If you know anything about Bakersfield and Kern County, you will know why this is absolutely hilarious!!

My wife, kinds and I were in a Sports Bar in Florida, when a story appeared on the news about a dude being shot to death by the KCSD. Sherriff Carl Sparks, a man I came to call friend, was interviewed by the national news. He said, "You don't bring that crap into my County." The four of us were roaring, and no one knew why. Ha!

Kern County Sheriff's Car Decal Says "We'll Kick Your ***"

Def not 69-70. The damage is extensive but those are stacked headlights, which puts it at 65-68.

67 had round mirrors but introduced a noticeable rise rearward of the doors, with narrower trim (like the wrecked one).
68 introduced flag mirrors that the wrecked one clearly has, and looks to be mounted near the rear of the vent window as appropriate.(…)

I would put this wrecked car as a 1968 - unless someone changed the mirrors and did the necessary paintwork on a 67, which was just ~5 years old at the time.

agreed — likely a ‘68. the other items to consider are the lack of headrests (they became mandatory in CY 1968, so it could be an early ‘68 or it’s a later one and they’ve been removed) and the recessed wipers — the latter would tip me toward 1967, but the high position could be an optical illusion given the longer/higher hood needed to hide them has been removed.

So. I’d say the mirror is more convincing. ‘68

Good catch. I didn't notice the stacked headlights before. was looking at the back end fins. I'd say it's definitely either a '67 or '68 model.
yep.

No that photo was from a car show in CT. a few years back, I never saw the owner. Turboomni was there I'll check to see if he can remember the show.

thank you for those photos.

Do you know more about that white 1970 Fury iii ´´vert with blue interior? When/where was the pic taken? I see Connecticut plates.
I did some research, it was Marks cruise nite in Granby CT., the last show was in 2021.

Not a great picture by modern standards, but the story is cool.
I was looking for something in my email and stumbled across this old discussion I had with a guy in 2006.
I figure I can share it, as I deleted any clues to his identity. (unless someone recognizes this picture, but what are the odds?)

Part 1:
>> Perhaps some of you have seen the car that started it all for me, my
>>former 1971 Sport Fury GT, the car I converted to a 4 speed back in the
>>late
>>70's. I know there were some pics of it at the group's site some time back
>>-
>>medium/dark green with gold stripes and no vinyl. I sold the car in 1985
>>when I moved to out of state and didn't have a good way to bring it with me. On
>>a
>>trip back to the Midwest a few years later I was told the guy I sold it to
>>had needed money quickly, had yanked the driveline, dumped the car in a
>>ghetto area, and reported it stolen. Broke my heart to think of my old girl
>>sitting in a bad neighborhood with kids jumping on the hood or whatever. I
>>did a title search in that state (Illinois) a few years ago, no record of
>>it
>>anymore. Since then I've been working on building up a 70 Sport Fury.
>> Last night out of the blue I got an email from a guy who said 'I think
>>I
>>know where your car is' and after a few emails back and forth it becomes
>>99.9% sure to me that it is my old GT! Same colors, it's a 4 speed, it has
>>the factory road wheels on it as mine did, same interior too. He said 'I
>>think it has a single plane intake manifold, maybe a Torker.' I had put a
>>Torker on mine. And this car has a scattershield - mine did too.
>> It seems to me that instead of the car having had its driveline yanked
>>and then being dumped, I suspect the car was sold to an 'accomplice' of the
>>other buyer and then reported stolen to collect the insurance money, but
>>who
>>would have gone to the trouble to put in another scattershield if the
>>driveline had to have been replaced?

Part 2:
the car is in one of the south suburbs of Chicago. I don't know if it's for sale but it sounds like the current owner is doing something with it to restore it. I'd say it will take me an hour or maybe just a bit more to get to the place where it is, and if I get to see it this Saturday it will be the first time I laid eyes on it since 1985. And for most of that time I was under the impression (since I was told) that the car had been destroyed. Apparently NOT!

I am currently building up another Sport Fury and I doubt I could afford to buy the GT back unless the guy offered it to me very cheap (I don't even expect that it is for sale but I at least would like to see it). Not often that something comes back from your past. Here I am sitting on the front fender at a Dog N Suds in 1979 when Car Craft magazine came to my town of Addison IL as part of their Cruisin' USA series. This picture was in the magazine. Not a great shot, but I love it. The night Car Craft showed up there was drag racing up and down the 4 lane highway for over an hour before the cops came by... the GT had its 4 speed at that time and I took it to the Dog N Suds with open headers, believe it or not.

1679693239098.png

Back