Piston Install: WD40 not Oil on Rings

in my mind, it would seem that the rings have to rotate or they would wear heavily on the thrust side of the cylinder causing piston slap.
i wonder if the spark plug angle has any effect on the rings walking? maybe the angle of the combustion causes additional push on the rings?

Thanks for all the replies

He sounds like a Chevy guy who was doing Chrysler videos to get more subscribers on YouTube. His ideas for using WD-40 and glazing if use oil, just made no sense to me. I’m not sure how big an issue the ring rotation is but I thought that was actually interesting.

Based on what he says, I hope he sticks to Chevys or, even better, foreign car engines.

Big John's myth busting article on ring rotation was interesting. Are the engineers right? Are the machinists right. I'm still going to stagger the rings.

Last edited:
Do not dunk the pistons and Rings in oil. They do not need all that liquid in there. They are not designed for it and never have it while under running conditions. The oil rings remove the liquid and leave a film on the cylinder.

Yeah, well maybe so, but if I'm rebuilding a fresh motor. I'll use as much as I think necessary when installing said dry piston into a dry cylinder! If you like installing dry parts and hoping for the best, good for you, not me!

Yeah, well maybe so, but if I'm rebuilding a fresh motor. I'll use as much as I think necessary when installing said dry piston into a dry cylinder! If you like installing dry parts and hoping for the best, good for you, not me!

Oh I don’t hope, i research. I never said dry either. Top 2 piston rings Don’t operate submerged. That’s why there are no oil return hold behind them.

Go ask an automotive machinist, that’s what I did years ago.

Want proof? Go take a running engine apart and notice 2 things: How much liquid oil is on the pistons and rings? How much oil is in the crank bearings?

The whole point here is to help others, I thought? You?

Top 2 piston rings Don’t operate submerged. That’s why there are no oil return hold behind them.
How much liquid oil is on the pistons and rings? How much oil is in the crank bearings?
The whole point here is to help others, I thought? You?

You right on the top 2 rings, I'm just saying! I'd rather have wet compression rings and piston upon install then having them dry, helps prevent damage to cylinder walls as well as making slide through the ring compressor easier. That oil in the rings will get burned off in the break-in period and becomes a moot point afterwards. Sharing knowledge, wisdom, and information is helping others is it not?
But you do what you do, and I'll do with I do, fair enough?

Sure thing, you are telling others to do this task dead wrong, that’s the problem with your typing what YOU THINK should be done vs what is correct.

Also, burning off that oil is going to leave something behind that your engine don’t want there.

like I said, go ask a machine shop what they do.

Last edited:
Also, burning off that oil is going to leave something behind that your engine don’t want there.

Well there will be some blow by and oil burning till the rings seat so what's the difference? But you know best and what do I know?

Well there will be some blow by and oil burning till the rings seat so what's the difference? But you know best and what do I know?

You are proving you lack of knowledge. When oil burns it does not burn clean, it leaves something behind.

GO ASK a professional! You are doing it wrong, and telling others to follow you.

Last edited:
You are proving you lack of knowledge. When oil burns it does not burn clean, it leaves something behind.

GO ASK a professional! You are doing it wrong, and telling others to follow you.

EAT ME! Like it'll look like a brand new motor after 100K miles are put on it, so F-ing what? Stop being so anal about it!

You have much to learn. Engines and treatment of others.

have you anything constructive to add to this? Or just get loud and insulting?

1) talk to a profession engine builder.
2) Read a book on it.
3) take apart a running engine and see how much oil is on the pistons/rings

Never argue with an idiot, they’ll drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.

Last edited:
Get em Stubb's, I have no idea what he is saying as I have ignored his ignorant, condescending, know it all *** for a long time.

Eat em up Stubb's.

Back