Please Help - Chance to Buy 1970 Fury Coupe

Teddy Baker

Reaction score
Thanks for your input - I have the chance to buy a 1970 Grande Coupe with #'s matching 383. 77,000 miles. The cost is $5,000. The problem is that the car is not running for 25 years. The car has 4 flats and sits in the ground. There are rust holes near the rear window and the vinyl top has rust under the edges. The interior is decent. If I buy, I must pay for engine and body work because I don't have alot of skill or experience with these things. I plan to slowly work on it on weekends if the car is worth buying. Your help with the value and knowledge problems I might face will help me decide. Please see attached pics. The car is under a barn-type cover with exposed sides and the owners are original. Thanks again for your advice.

20210601_222505.jpg

20210601_222421.jpg

You'll have tens of thousands of dollars into it paying someone to fix that rust unfortunately.

Thank you. This is an important response. I dont have that kind of $ to throw at this project.

Thank you for your input. I will start looking at the for-sale forums on this website instead. I appreciate your reply.

Thanks so much. It would likely cost $500 just to tow it to the house because its 60 miles away from me. Great response. I've got 3 that say, "No-way". That's plenty. Thanks again.

No problem.

To the right guy that Fury is worth 1500-2500 as a project.

Someone wanting it for a parts car would wanna be around around 1k or less.

5000 will never happen.

I agree, that's high. There are good ones out there in that price range, just keep looking. I found my 69 Newport, 70k miles for $4800 a little over a year ago. After a little time and money I've put 4k miles one her, and drive her every weekend

20200321_102131.jpg

20200424_155322.jpg

20200424_155226.jpg

As far as condition is concerned Buy the best car you can afford.

While that car isn't worth $5000, you'll be hard pressed to find a 70 Fury with a formal roof that doesn't have issues in the rear window channel. Mine came from Eastern Washington, which is super dry, and I still had a couple rust holes. The rust on that back window channel seems pretty extreme, however. If I had to guess, the whole channel needs replacing, and possibly part of that tulip panel and upper quarter where the peaks come down. A lot of work there.

While that car isn't worth $5000, you'll be hard pressed to find a 70 Fury with a formal roof that doesn't have issues in the rear window channel. Mine came from Eastern Washington, which is super dry, and I still had a couple rust holes. The rust on that back window channel seems pretty extreme, however. If I had to guess, the whole channel needs replacing, and possibly part of that tulip panel and upper quarter where the peaks come down. A lot of work there.

Don't forget all of the water those holes left into the trunk. I cannot imagine that the trunk is in very good shape.

2019 I picked my 70' Fury III up not running, been off the road since 88' for $3500. I had it running withn 4hrs of having her home but she needed a trans rebuild and a rear end rebuild. I drove her to Carlisle on a 400 mile round trip in 2020 from NY. Ive logged over 14k miles on her since. This guy that was selling it had it listed for $5k-$5.5k

DSCN9599.JPG

Back