Plug wires.

74monacoHT

Reaction score
20221021_002754.jpg

I know this isn't concours work. Just prettying 'er up and enjoying it. Was all very ugly when I started.

What color plug wires would you use here?

I always thought cars with factory electronic ignition has orange wires. That is what I am going to do for my 440.

Original electronic ignition wires were orange, they are not easy to get.
Once I was able to get an NOS set at a cost, I tested the resistance and found it to be double then the Denso wires I have now.
I decided to hold off on the swap.
Orange plug wires.

Black wires with reddish plug boots, black wires with black plug boots, or solid orange wires and plug boots are usually the three combinations that the general public will take "as stock: on Chrysler engines. Its people who "know what they are looking at" who know what might go where. Main thing is to have them loomed and routed correctly, to me, in those three color combinations.

Many of us know what is or might have been available outside of the repro parts network, so some allowances can be made for that. And that availability can change from time to time, too!

Personally, as long as the wires are in the above three color combinations, NOT in some other combination related to some brand or orientation of wires, loomed in a factory configuration for the model, model year, and exhaust manifolds, I'm fine with things.

Looks good!

CBODY67

Hello. I'm borrowing this old thread since the title is very generic. Sorry.

I'm refreshing 78 440 on New Yorker Bourgham and currently installing spark plug wires.

I have Standard brand 7183 set which has 2 wires with almost straight plug end boots (in picture hanging on #1 and #3). Other 6 are 90 degrees. Does anyone have information, where these two belong? Pre-made set has of course wires in different lengths. I haven't found information about which length belongs to which cylinder and I have no existing reference. I'm also thankful on any information on length<->corresponding cyl#.

IMG_20231214_190927.jpg

I was also wondering about right bank 2-4-6 wires routing with Lean Burn + 100A + A/C. I found this unrelated picture on 78 FSM, which shows obscure route - wires stuffed through valve cover clip. This is against all principles I have been thought about ignition wire routing, but I believe this since it's The FSM.
I have found the BBM wire holder information on B-Bodies forum. This prochure gives some information on later model engines also, but this method is unheard of.
Factory plug wire holders
Any thoughts?

IMG_20231214_194032.jpg
IMG_20231214_191025.jpg

the wires with the straight boots run along the top of the valve cover and in behind it before going onto each rear plug #7 and #8 respectively.

Last edited:
An observed issue with many wire sets is that they can consolidate applications under one part number of wires. Which can result in some being a bit longer than normal, in some cases. So seeking to make some work where they were not really designed to fir from the factory. Somewhere in the STD Ignition Catalog are illustrations of each wireset with their individual specs on wire lengths.

A few years earlier, in the Fuselage years and prior C-body cars. #7 and #8 snaked over the valve covers and had straight ends on them to keep them away from the exhaust manifolds back there. By '72, they had gone to a 135 degree boot for the back, as others had used 90 degree boots with those wires coming in from behind the motor rather than otherwise.

No B-body used the 100A alternator, which has the '66-era high mount rather than the lower mount of the normal alternator on your year engine. Although they did have the larger-amp alternators on police vehicles. FWIW

With the lh exhaust manifold you have, which is not that different than some of the B-bpdy manifolds, #7 would have to be a 90 degree end.

Wire routings back then were more about assembly convenience that now. Provided the wires need to cross to prevent induction-crossfiring at some point in their paths. Not necessarily whatr we might like if we were doing it ourselves.

Possibly there is an online illustration of exhaust manifolds for RB/B engines which might equate to your casting number and such, so that other applications might be determined. With the end result of ordering a wireset for that application? Otherwise, if all of the other wire lengths fit, you can gently slide the existing plug boots up on the wire, remove the crimped-on terminals then replace the straight boots with what you need to fix the replacement?

One reason that some Chrysler Corp engines have the wires as they do is that at the assy plant, the body drops OVER the engine so all of anything attached to the engine has to be tucked out of the way so as not to interfere with that operation.

One neat thing about the service manual downloads at www.mymopar.com is that several model years can be compared without having to spend money. Plus the diagrams of which plugs wires go where on which years and which models. There can be a good bit of cross-over between C and B-bodies in this area on some years. Other years, things can be completely different, as the exhaust manifolds changed between the two platforms.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Thanks for Your thoughts.

I answer to myself after more research: #3 and #8
This case is resolved.

Dealership data book shows small picture of the engine showing microscopic detail of left bank routing. #3 has 135deg boot avoiding the dipstick tube.

2023-12-16 15_23_53-Window.png

#8 goes nicely through single bracket (plastic grommet missing) and between downstream air injection tube and manifold. 90deg cannot be used here.

IMG_20231215_232235.jpg

Back