Plymouth air cleaner

Reaction score
I found a 1960 Plymouth with 318 and 2bbl carter carb,however it is missing the air cleaner. I don't know why people pull the air cleaners off cars to prime them after they sit and just leave them off. Supposedly this car has a rebuilt engine but the person confessed they drove it this way a couple times.
Why in the hell would anyone drive a car without an air cleaner on it? All the dust and grime blowing around in the air on the highway gets sucked into the engine and causes wear. It's just stupid!
My question is,if I buy this thing where can I get an aftermarket air cleaner to fit that carb until I can get an original factory correct Mopar air cleaner. The car doesn't smoke at all,but I must confess it annoys me to think it was driven this way. He didn't even have a plastic bag over it or rag stuffed into the carb and left it sitting like that for months.

I have a air cleaner from a 68 318 with the Carter/Stromberg 2 bbl. will that fit. It won't be correct, but should fit

Thanks for the kind offer Bob,if I wind up with the car I will let you know. is there a cheap aftermarket I could buy just so I could safely drive it home?

When I worked at the Autoparts store we sold a like of cheap chrome stuff. The air cleaners had a 2bbl adapter inside. That was in the 80's.

Yeah,people in the 80's working at autoparts stores still knew what a carburetor was,lol. Now everything is fuel injected. I'll check out the local autozone and see what they have. The guy wants a lot for the car and it has some issues like missing emblems,etc.

Last edited:
Look on your local craigslist. I see used air cleaners all the time. Ask if his came with the 2bbl adapter & still has it.

He had the original air cleaner,he told me he took it off the car to start it with starting fluid then lost it over the time he had the car. The guy is a car flipper,he actually told me he thinks the car is ugly

He lost the air cleaner? He admitted that.....

Yep,he is a car flipper with a bunch of cars and he takes the air cleaners off "because they are a hassle to put on and off" when he shows the cars. He then threw a "bunch of junk" out to clean out some of the clutter and apparently the air cleaner went missing. He of course won't budge on the price,which is high in my opinion for a 4dr. Getting detailed photos of the car is a hassle too. It took me three days and several calls to get engine pics

Yep,he is a car flipper with a bunch of cars and he takes the air cleaners off "because they are a hassle to put on and off" when he shows the cars. He then threw a "bunch of junk" out to clean out some of the clutter and apparently the air cleaner went missing. He of course won't budge on the price,which is high in my opinion for a 4dr. Getting detailed photos of the car is a hassle too. It took me three days and several calls to get engine pics

Walk away.........

Walk away.........

I know that's good advice and I'm actually going through a huge inner turmoil over it because I like the car and am worried nothing else near me will present itself. At the same time as another member pointed out 1960 isnt the most sought after year for Plymouth.
The guy had had this car listed for a while now,he wanted nearly 10k for it originally and its a four door sedan. It's missing some pieces has a a chevy alternator on it,but the interior is clean and body is straight and rust free,he also said the 318 is rebuilt,but of course has no paperwork to back that up. I probably should just wait and something better will surface.

Pull a valve cover. If it's gumed up & look at the valve seals. See if pieces of them are lying around. Check for blow by out of the stove pipe. Turn the crank & see how long before the rotor button turns indicating a loose chain. Look close at all the gaskets that you can see. Do they look new?

Pull a valve cover. If it's gumed up & look at the valve seals. See if pieces of them are lying around. Check for blow by out of the stove pipe. Turn the crank & see how long before the rotor button turns indicating a loose chain. Look close at all the gaskets that you can see. Do they look new?

The car is nearly 2 hours away from me so I have only seen it in photos. I plan on looking at it this weekend. I am not sure how the guy would react to me wanting to pull the valve cover. he claims it doesn't smoke,doesnt leak,etc. but when I asked other specifics about the car he didn't know the answer or seem to have that intimate a knowledge of the car,as it is just one of many he has for sale. this is a big business for him. Someone at one point repainted the engine red,including the oil dipstick and it does appear to have new wires,etc. and someone put a chevy alternator on it,so it may well have been rebuilt.

Maybe I should just walk away. You know,the funniest thing about it is that this guy does this for a living and yet everything has been a pain in the ***. getting photos,not having calls returned,having to repeatedly ask for answers to questions and then get "Gee,I don't know,I never looked at that",or,"this is small potatos to me,I sell cars worth $30,000". Most private parties I have ever dealt with have been very prompt about sending photos and answering questions. This guy claims he wants to sell the car,keeps saying he needs the room for more inventory,but then makes me feel like asking questions is a chore and I should just drive two hours and buy it. It was advertised too as having a title,but the title like the air cleaner has gone MIA,the car also has no plates on it so I get to drive it home with a one day permit,then stand in line at DMV on Monday and deal with that too.He even tried to sell me a different car with small fins that I said I wasn't interested in for only a thousand less than the car I wanted.

Sorry for venting guys. It seems sometimes nothing can ever go smoothly.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are emotionally attached allready. Suggestion. Waite a week. Let it out of your system. Then call him & arrange to go look at it. I love fin cars too, but you have to have a clear head or it will lead to heartbreak. I bought a 60 Seneca a few months ago. The damn things are as sexy as centerfolds. I understand. Be carefull

To many red flags, and your friend is right 60 Plymouth 4 doors are not that desirable and still fairly plentiful. Don't stop looking.
Have you been over to the Forward look site....? Post a "wanted" ad there.

Category & forums listing - The Forward Look Network

Shopping "close by" will really limit your options. Don't be afraid to branch out and perhaps fine a running, driving car that you could go and drive home. Could happen with that type of car and price range. It's very rewarding to do something like that, I have several times. And it's a great way to bond with the car.

Sounds like you are emotionally attached allready. Suggestion. Waite a week. Let it out of your system. Then call him & arrange to go look at it. I love fin cars too, but you have to have a clear head or it will lead to heartbreak. I bought a 60 Seneca a few months ago. The damn things are as sexy as centerfolds. I understand. Be carefull

I have a 1960 Phoenix! And yes,I am already emotionally attached to it to the point where I feel sick inside as to what to do. He wanted nearly $10k for this car then backed the price down to what he originally had it listed for the last time I saw it,which I think is a little on the high side. But the car is rust free,has redone factory correct seats,etc. but it is still a 4dr sedan and I do like 57-58 Plymouths a lot as well as 57 dodges and 57-58 DeSotos.

With my luck I'd buy this car and a 58 plymouth would be for sale next week,or I'd be driving around and it would blow oil,etc.

To many red flags, and your friend is right 60 Plymouth 4 doors are not that desirable and still fairly plentiful. Don't stop looking.
Have you been over to the Forward look site....? Post a "wanted" ad there.

Category & forums listing - The Forward Look Network

Shopping "close by" will really limit your options. Don't be afraid to branch out and perhaps fine a running, driving car that you could go and drive home. Could happen with that type of car and price range. It's very rewarding to do something like that, I have several times. And it's a great way to bond with the car.

Thanks for the advice blue fury,I have been looking at the forward look classifieds after being told about that site but haven't become a member there yet. I'm honestly not a computer person and kind of got dragged into being one trying to find another 60 like the one I had long ago.

You guys are right about it being best not to get too emotionally invested in something because it clouds you senses during a purchase. But let's face it,these cars are all about emotion and love of the design. Only someone driven by great passion would spend more time and money restoring cars that are rusty and hard to find parts for than they will ever get back if they go to sell them. That's what separates the money shark type guys who deal with these only as a means to make money and the guys like me who see something and say "wow,look at that amazing dash and fins" I must own this now! and start parting with hard earned money. I'm no Leno,money comes hard for me. I offered him $6k and he turned it down.

Edit-As far as buying something out of state I would be scared buying anything based on photos only,I've know people who did and were severely disappointed and wound up with rust buckets full of bondo. Thankfully I live in a nice dry state where the cars have a high survival rate,but of course many have already left the state and country.

Last edited:
Post a pic of that Phoenix. I had one of those get away about 2 years ago because the owner & I couldn't make a deal. Darn it !

I know that's good advice and I'm actually going through a huge inner turmoil over it because I like the car and am worried nothing else near me will present itself. At the same time as another member pointed out 1960 isnt the most sought after year for Plymouth.
The guy had had this car listed for a while now,he wanted nearly 10k for it originally and its a four door sedan. It's missing some pieces has a a chevy alternator on it,but the interior is clean and body is straight and rust free,he also said the 318 is rebuilt,but of course has no paperwork to back that up. I probably should just wait and something better will surface.

Trust me on this. . . There is ALWAYS another car out there.

What would guys value a nice 1960 plymouth daily driver at? Does $6,500-7,500 seem fair or a little high? I know I've seen them sell for less on ebay

Back