Poly motor info needed

Joesportfury

Reaction score
Just got my 10,000 mile poly motor for my 65 SportFury.Went to install left motor mount and the front of the new motor (a 64) is not drilled or tapped for third bolt.Not crazy about drilling into block but will if I have to.Opinions?

Just got my 10,000 mile poly motor for my 65 SportFury.Went to install left motor mount and the front of the new motor (a 64) is not drilled or tapped for third bolt.Not crazy about drilling into block but will if I have to.Opinions?

Whatever you do do not drill into the block without researching it first. Some of the older blocks are not set up for the 3 bolt mount and do not usually have the extra metal in the block to support this modification. If memory serves me correctly, you might be able to use the '64 mounts.
Do some research as others have done this mod.

Dave

Last edited:
Some of the Dodges and Plymouth Furys used a different motor mount, do you know what vehicle the engine came out of? And are these side mounts or spool mounts? If the motor has a circular relief in the block where the 3rd mount bolt should attach, it is probably safe to drill and tap, just be careful about the depth of the drilling. Measure the depth of the existing holes and drill accordingly. I would suggest having an automotive machine shop who knows what they are doing do this mod.

Dave

Last edited:
I believe it was in a 64 plymouth.The original steel mounts were on motor and they bolted on the tabs on the side of the block.The 65 mount on the left side bolts to the forward tabs on block then wraps around the front.

Does the frame on the '65 have the holes to accommodate the '64 mount? If not, you may have to look into specialty mounts.

Dave

No rubber mounts with motor just metal part.Left mount would be too far back anyway.No relief or boss on block but none on the origional either.Was going to garage to get pic but just started pouring rain here

364CC43A-5808-418F-BDA0-34B718F2EE84.jpeg
38C97240-A91A-43DB-95CB-B0B0B8274315.jpeg
6003B101-5F67-4AF3-8DE8-CE7E69B58232.jpeg
Pictures of old and new blocks and mount

Back