portable garages, etc. for car storage. anybody tried them?

I had one, used it three years. After the first year the material was starting to tear. Mine cost four bills a dozen years ago. It was decent and better than nothing which is why theyre needed.

I put a tarp on the ground and came up the inside with it about 2 ft. My car never sat on the bare ground.

Last edited:
I used two quonset hut style units for almost 7 years to store two of the Newps.

They were top end quality wise, and price wise as well. The HFT unit you linked is low end junk that won't last more than a couple of years before it is compromised. I paid $850 each for mine in 2004 and 2005.

The frame was galvanized fence post and the cover was heavy duty rip stop poly. They came with a ground cover and I paid more for a roll up door kit.

They worked great for what they were and held an incredible snow load. I even disassembled them and moved them from one location to another.

IMG_0402.JPG

But there are two major weaknesses with them:

**THEY OFFER ZERO SECURITY AND ARE HIGHLY SUSCEPTIBLE TO VANDALISM**

As fate would have it, I had a shady neighbor move in at my last shop that instantly took a disliking to me. I tried many times to make peace with him to no avail.

One day I got to the shop to find the following:
IMAG0254.jpg

IMAG0264.jpg

They left a sample of their DNA here:
IMAG0280.jpg

IMAG0283.jpg

IMAG0257.jpg
IMAG0262.jpg

IMAG0275.jpg

IMAG0277.jpg

The convertible now:
IMG_1521.JPG

My truck and enclosed trailer got it too. But, I had enough previous police reports, history of trouble, and DNA from the roof of the green 4DSD and a bottle that he littered the lot with to have him arrested, prosecuted, and convicted.

So keep in mind that portable garages are great until they aren't.

If you do decide to get one, definitely use a ground cover. Bare ground will result in a humidor with condensation running down the inside.

Everything I own is now inside a secure shop.

Hope the input helps.

John

Yours is the round roof, mine was more of an A roof but did have a nice steel skeleton. With a nice zipper front. Im glad I dont have to deal with that anymore

. But, I had enough previous police reports, history of trouble, and DNA from the roof of the green 4DSD and a bottle that he littered the lot with to have him arrested, prosecuted, and convicted.

How long did he get and is he still in? I hope so

How long did he get and is he still in? I hope so

3 years, out after 2, 3 years probation.

And $25k in restitution, which he is still paying.

I actually went and visited him while he was in.

Only to assure him that he would spend the rest of his life wondering if I would seek revenge.

To be clear, I'm not that kind of person.

But he doesn't know that.

John

At least that's something. Is he still the neighbor now then?

No, I moved to another, bigger shop shortly after the trouble.

But he lost his business and his wife in the deal.

And I know where he is.

John

I used two quonset hut style units for almost 7 years to store two of the Newps.

They were top end quality wise, and price wise as well. The HFT unit you linked is low end junk that won't last more than a couple of years before it is compromised. I paid $850 each for mine in 2004 and 2005.

The frame was galvanized fence post and the cover was heavy duty rip stop poly. They came with a ground cover and I paid more for a roll up door kit.

They worked great for what they were and held an incredible snow load. I even disassembled them and moved them from one location to another.

View attachment 80252

As fate would have it, I had a shady neighbor move in at my last shop that instantly took a disliking to me. I tried many times to make peace with him to no avail.

View attachment 80254
View attachment 80255
View attachment 80256
View attachment 80258
View attachment 80259 View attachment 80260
View attachment 80261
View attachment 80262
The convertible now:
View attachment 80263
My truck and enclosed trailer got it too. But, I had enough previous police reports, history of trouble, and DNA from the roof of the green 4DSD and a bottle that he littered the lot with to have him arrested, prosecuted, and convicted.

If you do decide to get one, definitely use a ground cover. Bare ground will result in a humidor with condensation running down the inside.

Hope the input helps.

John
thanks, John, and sorry you had all of the troubles you mention...

View attachment 80252

View attachment 80254
View attachment 80255
View attachment 80256
View attachment 80258
View attachment 80259 View attachment 80260
View attachment 80261
View attachment 80262
The convertible now:
View attachment 80263

Hope the input helps.

John

I would of lost my mind and the neighbor probably would of lost his permanently!

3 years, out after 2, 3 years probation.

And $25k in restitution, which he is still paying.

I actually went and visited him while he was in.

Only to assure him that he would spend the rest of his life wondering if I would seek revenge.

To be clear, I'm not that kind of person.

But he doesn't know that.

John

I've been a pretty calm guy since my Warfighter days ended....

This would probably push me over the edge!

Did buy 7.2meter x 3.6meter garage for my car. Newport barely fits inside :) But its safe from rain, snow etc now.

I too am interested in getting a portable garage. There's a 10'x20'x8' one for a decent price that I have my eye on but have not made up my mind yet because I do not see this lasting more than a year or two. I also tossed around the idea of getting an all weather car cover (although I have a gravel driveway) or just renting a storage unit for $50-$60 a month. Any suggestions on what my best bet would be? Too many old cars, not enough room to fit them under a roof. And don't have enough to fund a garage right now.

https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...441929162-c-10153.htm?tid=3474070780677193022

Sale price of $229.00

image.jpg

Back