posi lube

mr gtx

Reaction score
do I need additive for cone type posi and is 85-140 weight alright ?

I had a sure grip rear installed on my car, (it's not known as a posi here in Mopar land FYI) and they did not use the additive, and it chattered on corners. Added the additive, and all was good. I would say add it just to be sure.

Regarding the oil weight, I am not sure.

do I need additive for cone type posi and is 85-140 weight alright ?
Service Manual sez:

Standard and Sure-Grip:

The lubricant installed in the rear axle at time of assembly is a high quality product and regularly scheduled changes of the lubricant are not recommended in vehicles where operation is classified as normal passenger car service. The only exceptions, however, would be where the lubricant has become contaminated with water, or in the case of the standard rear axle, to provide the correct viscosity grade for the anticipated temperature range, as indicated by the accompanying table:
Viscosity Grade SAE ME 80 SAE 75 Anticipated Temperature Range Above -10F = 90W, as low as -30 = 80W, and below -3OF = 75W.

You can get MOPAR Sure Grip additive at the dealer.

I believe that the normal, readily available lube is now 85W-90. DO use the additive, for good measure.

going use 1 80W-90 and rest 85W-140 can't hurt anything ? with posi additive

Always add a condioner to any locking diff.
Here is what I use..

Screenshot_2022-06-17-21-18-52.png

ok i will have an extra one on the shelve then.
No problem!
It is a good idea to jack the rear up and run it in gear at idle for 10 minutes to circulate the conditioner.
It is not really necessary just a recommendation if you were experiencing any chattering.

Another method, mentioned back in the later 1960s, was to drive the car in circles, first lh then rh, several times. On our then-new 1969 C-10, it always wanted to "bind-up"/not release on lh turns at low speeds. Popping each time it slipped, which also shook the pickup truck.

TWO types of "limited slip" differentials. The one (earlier) which is locked until it unlocks, which has springs to keep it locked-up until you go around a corner and the clutch plates need to slip, whereas the later one (governor weight controlled) is unlocked until it locks up. I'm suspecting the cone clutch limited slip would be the latter type? With the Detroit Locker being a quick and positive locking rear axle. The "locked until it unlocks" would be the most critical as to additive use, although GM later advocated use of the additive in their "unlocked until it locks" units.

Enjoy making TWO black marks!
CBODY67

Back