Power antenna question

Big_John, it's absolutely correct when it sticks out. My '69 New Yorker is a one-owner-never-messed-up car and the antenna sticks out in the lowest position.

At first I was suspicious too, but then found this old ad, which shows the antenna sticking out of the fender in the lowest position:

1969-chrysler-new-yorker-4-door-hardtop.jpg

Well there you have it, it goes down far enough that it won't get effed up in a car wash.

I would try Murray Park.

I bet he has a bunch of power antenna's.

Big_John, it's absolutely correct when it sticks out. My '69 New Yorker is a one-owner-never-messed-up car and the antenna sticks out in the lowest position.

At first I was suspicious too, but then found this old ad, which shows the antenna sticking out of the fender in the lowest position:

View attachment 95000
Thank You!!

This is exactly what I was looking for... Someone with a good one owner car and some factory documentation to back it up.

Ummm. Bob... Read post #1 and #16.....

In the mean time, I've tried to get a more reliable antenna or at least a core to work with. I ended up buying one from Murray Palmer... The one shown.

Murray Park?

John, the Formal antenna you sent me is in a 1,000 pieces but I still have the one I took out of my car. You want that one for parts?

Thanks for the offer Stan. I have two now. One that Murray Park sold me that is supposed to work well and my intermittent working one in the car.

In the mean time, I've tried to get a more reliable antenna or at least a core to work with. I ended up buying one from Murray Palmer... The one shown.

Murray Park?
LOL.... Yea, Murray Park.

Murray Palmer was a guy that sold Mopar parts out of his small junkyard near here. That was many years ago, but he was a real character that you don't forget. The similarities in name always trips me up.

Matt, even though the antenna works on the NYB...

I don't take her through car washes anymore. Afraid to damage the new paint or the top. LOL!

Matt, even though the antenna works on the NYB...

I don't take her through car washes anymore. Afraid to damage the new paint or the top. LOL!
I know what you mean Bob. I don't think I could bring myself to take a classic through an automatic car wash.

I just cleanup any area's on the undercarriage with brake kleen when I have it up on the lift.

This is all great info guys thanks. My antenna only goes down a couple of inches before it stalls out so a rebuild/replace is in its future. Gonna hit the FSM and see what's involved with removing inner fender without taking the outer off.. Any advice?

I definitely would have lost this bet. Good discussion . :thumbsup:

70chr_cordoba_press_b.jpg
Now here's the topic for discussion since we've solved the mystery.

How would one display the car at a show?? I was stumped by it and obviously not alone. With the antenna down, which would be the proper mode for parking the car, it looks like the antenna is broken. With the antenna up, those of us that can spot the difference (much smaller fender escutcheon) and now know it should stick up about 6" will look at it and figure the antenna is up because it's broken.

Back