Power steering B/body to C/body

U.K 66 Sport Fury

Reaction score
Right guys. I live in the U.k and have a 440 / 4 speed 66 Fury sport 3. It has a manual steering box and the question is will a p.a.steering set up off a b/body fit? Over here we have very limited parts availability. I have access to a b/body set up but dont know if the box will fit? If any one has a c/body power steering box for sale and willing to post to the U.k let me know. Or if you know if the parts are inter changeable let me know please. Thanks guys.

20170504_131954.jpg

Right guys. I live in the U.k and have a 440 / 4 speed 66 Fury sport 3. It has a manual steering box and the question is will a p.a.steering set up off a b/body fit? Over here we have very limited parts availability. I have access to a b/body set up but dont know if the box will fit? If any one has a c/body power steering box for sale and willing to post to the U.k let me know. Or if you know if the parts are inter changeable let me know please. Thanks guys.

I doubt there were too many cars like yours with a manual box. Did someone put it in there or was it factory? I have a C-body box in great shape but the damn thing weighs, like 50 lbs. It came out of a '67 and still has the arm attached. I'm still curious about the manual box. Was the car originally a slant six because steering a car with a 550 lb. big-block and manual steering would be a bear. Anyway, you'd have to verify the mounting points from the b-body box to your c-body k-frame and if all looks good, I'd say you can switch them out. As far as the pitman goes, the manual box may well have a shorter one to reduce steering effort.

The steering boxes between Cbody and Bbody should be the same, what is most important is checking the diameter of the Pitman arm shaft in the steering box. There were two sizes available over the years and you will want to check that to see if the pitman arm you have in your car will fit the Bbody box.

The b body box should bolt up if you happen to have the pitman arm for the b body box check it against what is in the car now as far as measurements. The column itself will need to checked. Going from manual to power the column is shortened.

I doubt there were too many cars like yours with a manual box. Did someone put it in there or was it factory? I have a C-body box in great shape but the damn thing weighs, like 50 lbs. It came out of a '67 and still has the arm attached. I'm still curious about the manual box. Was the car originally a slant six because steering a car with a 550 lb. big-block and manual steering would be a bear. Anyway, you'd have to verify the mounting points from the b-body box to your c-body k-frame and if all looks good, I'd say you can switch them out. As far as the pitman goes, the manual box may well have a shorter one to reduce steering effort.

It left the factory with a 383 . It now has a 440. The vin tag is missing so I dint have any information on whether it had p.a.s before.

I don't know if you have ever watched Roadkill but your Charger give me a kind of General Mayhem vibe.

I would be willing to trade you a power steering box for your manual steering box :) I live in Holland, so shipping should be OK.

Beware of the fact that if your car has manual steering from the factory that your steering column shaft is also longer than one for a power steering box.

Anyway, I have a power steering box with pump/brackets from a 383. Let me know what you need.

SuperFly TNT

I'm pretty sure the pitman is different between the C & B body cars but it looks like your manual one should work.

Alan

C body has bigger sector shaft and guaranteed ball bearing retained sector shaft. It would be a great box to have on my A body drag car
Second reason is I don't live in the city or even in a really old country with tight roads and streets, also been driving a tractor trailer long enough, and learned to drive one without power steering, to not put myself in a tight spot and have to grunt it out, making manual steering not a big deal. For the the couple $2-300 bucks for rebuilt box in exchange for yours is not bad, most manual boxes you see for $50-125 are from slant six A bodies with bushed sector shaft.

Back