Power window switches (take apart)

Ironwolf

Reaction score
OK so today I had some time to myself and I thought I would get into some trouble :banana:

I started to play around with a few of my spare power window switches for my 69 Sport Fury just to see if I could take them apart , clean up the contacts, and I don't know just do something to them to see if I could get them to pre-perform like new or better than new !! Well after messing with them for bit and I did not get too far at the dining room table I stopped. However I was wondering has anyone here ever taken one of these bad boys apart ??

are there any interesting ways of doing it without snapping off any pertinent parts. :eusa_think:

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

I looked online and could not find any info on them other than buying ones on E-Bay !!!

I bet Julian (Vdk2010) has them torn down to the molecular level by now. Send him a PM.

You know I don't doubt that for one minute at all, I would not be surprised that if he took them apart and found some beyond repair parts deep within the switch he fabricated better than new ones. :luke: Just because he could ...:thinker:

Hm, yes I already took mine apart cleaned them out, regreased them, cleaned and polished the contacts and put them back together. Where did you stuck?

Hm, yes I already took mine apart cleaned them out, regreased them, cleaned and polished the contacts and put them back together. Where did you stuck?

I just started, I was looking at trying to see how the front lever disconnects from the main body, I see two tabs that may or seem to push in. It seems clear that the four tabs need to be gently pried open then it should just dump out on to the table !! OR !!! springs & shrapnel will be airborne everywhere :blob8: It seems easy enough with the might smaller tools not my normal electrical tools........ :violent-smiley-100:

Mine are different but as you said, it looks like you have to carefully bent these tabs out to remove the switch from its housing.
$_57.jpg

After that, you can remove the lever fro the switch itself pretty easy.

$_57.jpg

Mine are different but as you said, it looks like you have to carefully bent these tabs out to remove the switch from its housing.
View attachment 50109

After that, you can remove the lever fro the switch itself pretty easy.

Yep !!! that's one of the ones I was thinking may do it but did not want to force anything ... Thanks VODKA !!!!! !:eek:ccasion14:

Bent them out one or two times shouldn't be a problem. Just be gentle. My switches themself were just hold together by two metal clips. Easy to pull apart. There was a lot of old gummed up grease and corroded contacts inside.

Bent them out one or two times shouldn't be a problem. Just be gentle. My switches themself were just hold together by two metal clips. Easy to pull apart. There was a lot of old gummed up grease and corroded contacts inside.

Yes they are very delicate, The ones I am going to work on is a set I just got they look real good but one of the single ones moves very loosely so I assume that something is broken inside. So that is the one I will dismantle first so if it breaks "OH WELL" that will be the one I sacrifice and learn on.

There is not much inside that can brake, maybe just a loose part. Good luck taking it apart! Let me know when you found the problem!

Seems I exchanged the labels in the bags. I also redid the seat controls. If the 6 pin is wrong, its the seat control switch. Mea culpa

Unfortunately, that means that the window switch is the one I'm searching a way to replace the dust boot for.

DSC_0005.jpgDSC_0006.jpgDSC_0007.jpgDSC_0008.jpgDSC_0009.jpg

And it's the one that is not much serviceable... Just sand all the contact points to ensure a good connection. The challenge is to find a new dust boot.

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

This thread came at the right time....I'm learning some good stuff here.

My two rear switches just went "out" concurrently with motor failures. Looking at the innards pictured above, it looks like the contacts are pretty beefy. Not sure where a common failure point may be? .....scratching my head.

Will a bad motor will kill a switch?

This thread came at the right time....I'm learning some good stuff here.

My two rear switches just went "out" concurrently with motor failures. Looking at the innards pictured above, it looks like the contacts are pretty beefy. Not sure where a common failure point may be? .....scratching my head.

Will a bad motor will kill a switch?

You see the dark spots? These are residues that causes current to stop flowing. You have to sand all the contacts until the spots are gone.

Back