Prius issue

The Prius is one of those cars that Yuppies bought to prove that they were doing something to "save the planet". I also noted that most Obama campaign stickers were also on a Prius. Maybe they should have run Prius on Hot Air rather than an Inverter Convertor Unit (ICU).

Dave
Actually there is a bunch of internet information showing that the carbon footprint is almost the same for a gas sucking machine...

My next door neighbor has a Prius, It sits in the driveway most of the time. Just a Piece of Ugly Jap ****. IMHO

The Prius is a joke. It costs more to manufacture, buy and dispose of. It only gets great milage if you don't drive very fast (I've only talked to a few Prius owners, and they've all said they had to stay below 60 to get good mpg, but one gal said she got 50mpg regularly). I think it's just a big warm fuzzy feeling for the owner, they like their car for whatever reason, much like us and our antiques, it doesn't matter what we think, they will still buy them.

As for electronics invading very aspect of a.modern car, I agree it's a potential problem. Why does everything need to run through a radio (computer)? I first dealt with it on Laura's 2004 Impala, basic but still required for oil change life and other crap I never would have guessed. Now they have a laptop, basically, as your radio, pardon me, the entertainment center. I thought that was a piece of furniture? :confused: I have the 2008 Avenger for a driver, and it's mostly a basic car with fee options, just the way I like it. I don't need all the bells and whistles, even though they can be nice to have. Snow is melting, so soon I can drive around in 52 year old technology, a much preffered option.

Even more....i don't like the people that drive them. They will do whatever to get in front of you in the left lane and drive 10-15 mph UNDER the speed limit and causing chaos.
Gawd... you should see the number of wannabe prius drivers in orlando then... :BangHead:

None of this Prius stuff surprises me.
Working with Japanese and German engineers over the years has been infuriating. Their pride and arrogance often gets in the way of good design or business sense. How dare an inferior American ever point out a flaw in their design. You know someone back home at Takata is gonna fall on his sword!
Generally agree, but some were much worse than others. Or they would agree with you and then go home and do it their way and not tell you about it. Or leave it out of the discussion up front when they should have told you about it and they knew it.
You fellas got to a side the rest of us could only speculate about...
I'll stick with my daily driver 97 Chevy Suburban. It has been paid off for years, hauls family, friends, and cargo comfortably in any weather and still looks good in its original emerald green paint.
Mine's a 99... same thing... I asked the GM folks I knew for years WTF was up with CPI/SCPI systems... what advantage does having and electronic inject feed a mechanical injector offer? I eventually came across a young man who claimed his father worked in engineering, and that the guy who pushed it was too high ranked for the rest to want to risk the battle. IDK if it was true, but it's the best explanation for that abomination I ever found.

Knocking on wood as I type, I've not had major problems with mine... but thought long and hard before deciding to buy into the potential problem. Last I checked, the replacement injector set was still $400-500 range.

My next door neighbor has a Prius, It sits in the driveway most of the time. Just a Piece of Ugly Jap ****. IMHO
What it is is not relevant to the discussion.
While I agree it's not the targeted discussion... I do find it amazing that every time they redo the looks they get even uglier. At least I thought it was an interesting tangent.

While I agree it's not the targeted discussion... I do find it amazing that every time they redo the looks they get even uglier. At least I thought it was an interesting tangent.

Also not relevant, but I find most of the other EV's to be equally as ugly, such as that BMW "thing" that looks like an insect, the Leaf, and the Honda EV. Also that new Toyota Fuel Cell thing. The Teslas are all right by my eyes, except for the dash on the new model which has just a screen that serves as the cluster. I see all these cars on a regular basis several times a day as I work in what they call Silicon Valley, and these are considered the "cool" cars to have around here (besides the other European imports). I stick out like a sore thumb commuting in my behemoth yellow New Yorker. Get me outta here!

Last edited:
I stick out like a sore thumb commuting in my behemouth yellow New Yorker. Get me outta here!
But then we'd lose our only representation of how good life used to be... you wouldn't want those folks to be deprived of her, I bet you make some peoples day every time they see her.:thumbsup:

I respect the environment daily in many ways...recycle, pick up dog doo, etc... But, for safety reasons and dog transport my daily drivers are big...always Suburbans in my case. Due for another one soon. And I love burning fuel in the old barges and pulling up next to the small hybrids at the pump or on the road. I'll fight to my death if the state ever tries to regulate hot rods, street rods, classics, etc...on our roadways.
Yes, we can save the polar bears and the old barges at the same time. It doesn't help that people (on both the left and right) reject ideas that come from the "wrong" party, worldview, etc. But I digress.

Back to Toyotas, my late partner and her then-husband bought a Toyota Corolla after reading Consumer Reports. It was a lemon. And I mean LEMON! Worse than the cheap knobs falling off the dashboard was the automatic transmission that lost all its forward gears. Can't imagine the ordeal of having to drive backwards on a rural highway. With two lanes. In the winter. Before cellphones were even invented! This was only a year or so after buying it new.

This was before lemon laws, strong consumer protection, and such. They abandoned that piece of **** in the dealer's parking lot (the dealership wasn't much help, either). Most of the cars she had after that were Chrysler products.

Guess how confident my lady was in the Prius?

My driver's ed coincided with Knight Rider's popularity. The show got me enthused about self-driving cars. Now they invoke images from Jurassic Park (no, not the man-eating dinosaurs, but the over-reliance on automation).

All the ballyhoo extolling the virtues of self-driving cars is based on the assumption that the machines won't malfunction. Scary!

The Prius is one of those cars that Yuppies bought to prove that they were doing something to "save the planet". I also noted that most Obama campaign stickers were also on a Prius. Maybe they should have run Prius on Hot Air rather than an Inverter Convertor Unit (ICU).

Dave

This just caught my eye. Yuppies was used in the 80's to describe a young urban professional. There was no Prius at that time. What Yuppies drove in Californi were usually a BMW like the 528 or a Saab 900. The Bay Area was full of them and those cars were all over the place.

I was waiting for the ol' lady and spotted a Pious in the parking lot just now. These are thankfully a fairly rare sight around here.

0629182028.jpg

Prissy little things. Seems they all come with some kind of peace sign or rainbow decal in back.

Dave
Too much stereotyping. I do see the occasional Prius owner that knows how to drive. And I saw a great bumper sticker the other day, on a newer Chevy pickup. It said “Tuck Frump”.

Back