Problems with valve lash on rebuilt 318 poly

Thanks much. That is from an original block? Just confirming.

I am just leaving town for the week, but when I get back i’ll measure the rods. the builder is coming over to inspect. He is convinced he had it set right on the bench. But when I tighten the adjusters all the way they are coming up around an 1/8” too short.

It was somewhat loud from the start. Got worse. We’ll see. Old rods are gone BTW.

yes this is a bone stock Poly

If the builder is convinced he installed the correct pushrods then it has to be shorted valves or really thick head gaskets...

yes this is a bone stock Poly

If the builder is convinced he installed the correct pushrods then it has to be shorted valves or really thick head gaskets...
Not just the correct pushrods, but he is sure he had it properly adjusted. Meaning everything is correct and something is has worn away somewhere in the first few hundred miles.

I missed his instructions to run it at 1800 rpm for 20 min on startup. I spend that long at idle likely dialing in the tune. I had driven it 100 miles or so before giving it the high rpm run. He was afraid that caused wear on the cam or tappers but there is no wear recognizable yer.

We’ll see. Maybe next week when i am back. I did measure the pushrods. The ones in there are the exact measurement 8-17/32”

PROBLEM SOLVED. sort of.

Turns out it was the rocker arm adjustment screws getting all tore up for whatever reason.

They were originals and looked fine going back in. Everything else looks new so these took the brunt of some wear for some reason. Not all of them maybe 8 of 16 as I wiggle them around.

Now for the next problem, where am I going to find new ones? Spent a good 45 min online, can’t find anything but what looks like a possible replacement with a threaded rod and nut.

Who would have old Mopar engine parts that I am not finding in web search?

703776CC-2B31-4760-A3CA-B9BE7009E39F.jpeg

PROBLEM SOLVED. sort of.

Turns out it was the rocker arm adjustment screws getting all tore up for whatever reason.

They were originals and looked fine going back in. Everything else looks new so these took the brunt of some wear for some reason. Not all of them maybe 8 of 16 as I wiggle them around.

Now for the next problem, where am I going to find new ones? Spent a good 45 min online, can’t find anything but what looks like a possible replacement with a threaded rod and nut.

Who would have old Mopar engine parts that I am not finding in web search?

View attachment 301095

Those are just flat worn out, probably from an oiling problem before the engine was rebuilt. You should check the push rods for abnormal wear also. You can still buy the 318 poly complete rockers on ebay for about $160 a set. The other and cheaper alternative would be to find someone with a junk 318 that would be willing to sell you the rocker set. As far as I know, the adjusters themselves are not available.

Dave

R
Those are just flat worn out, probably from an oiling problem before the engine was rebuilt. You should check the push rods for abnormal wear also. You can still buy the 318 poly complete rockers on ebay for about $160 a set. The other and cheaper alternative would be to find someone with a junk 318 that would be willing to sell you the rocker set. As far as I know, the adjusters themselves are not available.

Dave
they pushrods have been inspected and they are still looking like new. No wear in spite of what some of the adjusters look like.

The adjusters in there are one piece. Some on eBay are one piece, some are two piece. Both claim to be for ‘60 318’s. I think I have tripped across the two piece adjusters on the web.

Is it possible there is a second version that is avail or should I stick with trying to find one-piece adjusters?

This shows the two piece adjusters.

Rocker Arm Set 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 Dodge 318 V8 NEW - 16pcs | eBay

R

they pushrods have been inspected and they are still looking like new. No wear in spite of what some of the adjusters look like.

The adjusters in there are one piece. Some on eBay are one piece, some are two piece. Both claim to be for ‘60 318’s. I think I have tripped across the two piece adjusters on the web.

Is it possible there is a second version that is avail or should I stick with trying to find one-piece adjusters?

This shows the two piece adjusters.

Rocker Arm Set 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 Dodge 318 V8 NEW - 16pcs | eBay

I would stay with whatever you have now as the push rods are probably not the same. There was an early and a late style but I no longer remember for sure what years are the same. I think the 55-59 was the early style and the 60-66 was the late style. A member here would probably willing to make you a deal on a rocker set, or maybe just the adjusters, if you ask as there are lots of junk poly engines around.

Dave

Hi Just thought I'd mention that the last run of the 318 "A" engine A.K.A Polyspheres , prior to the introduction of the LA 318 ,( that would be in late '66 for the very early group of '67 cars had hydraulic lifters. If you pull the valve cover the whole valve train looks identical to a solid lifter "A" ...could be your builder missed that during the rebuild. If you've been around Polys a lot, This group of engines sticks out. There are all sorts of little clues 1) the block uses the cup style frost plugs instead of the convex style , the oil pump drive is a hex and the oil pump itself is the "later" style all indications of the "LA" on the horizon , But you will have the Polysphere heads etc. As stated ,even with Hydraulics these engines still had adjusters on the rocker arms which were adjusted just enough to preload the lifters and then that was it you left them alone...unless a full valve job was done later on etc. Hydraulics on Polys appeared once before and that was the 326 used in 'the '59 Dodge Coronets so not to many mechs saw them....
I worked on quite a few '67's with the Poly 318's and there was no characteristic tappet click. If there was any tappet noise the first thing that was done was an oil pressure check...
Maybe this info will help. Dependant on the year of manufacture of your Poly.

Last edited:
Back