Proper engine color?

Davews

Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been asked many times already but please humor me...
What color would a 1969 HP 383 (N code) in a polara be?
Thank you !

There is a link in this post from the other day that covers most of the years.
I believe 383 in ‘69 was still turquoise. But check the attached thread for sure. ‘68 is my area of knowledge and I don’t stray too far either direction.
What Is my Correct Engine Color?

My '70 DH43N0D us blue. A/C with a Carter AVS.

Somewhere in the middle-to-slightly later 1960s, the 383/325 motor had what was termed "Standard Cam", as did the 440/350 engines. That, at the time, would have been the 256/260 cam of about 1966. A year or so later, all 383 4bbls were termed "high performance", but with no real spec changes in this area. Although the 383/335 "Road Runner" engine was in production. Although some might term it "1967 GTX" (440/375) camshaft also.

Then came the DUAL "N" codes 383s in '70. 383/330 (standard cam, but with dual snorkel air cleaner and the up-swept exhaust manifolds) for all cars, but the other "N" was the 383/335 (HP cam, usually Holley 4160 4bbl) that looked very similar to the 383/330 engine, but was only in the B/E HP models (Road Runners, Super Bees, 'Cuda s, and R/Ts AND I suspect was "Street Hemi Orange" in color). A very visible scheme to indicate it had the hotter camshaft in it (aided by the "performance image" Holley 4bbl, it would seem.

Not really sure why it seemed that all 383 4bbls were termed "High Performance". Dual Snorkle air cleaners and true dual exhausts, with the requisite 4bbl carb? Rather than the normal air cleaners and single exhaust (as the 383/325 '67 Chryslers had, but the same engine in a Plymouth or Dodge C-body would have had dual exhausts).

On the factory assembly line, many items were nomenclature with color codes, daubs, etc. No need to look at printed codes, just look for the color indicators. So, in that orientation, blue or orange would have indicated which engines should go into which chassis/model. IF everything works right! So, the 383/330 motors would have been blue and the 383/335 motors would have been Street Hemi Orange.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back