Torsion Bar Color

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I need your help regarding the color of the torsion bars, my Polara 72 is original 440ci I would like to know what color I should paint them, a guy I know has a Monaco 72 360ci with AC and his his is olive green, I had a duscution with a guy the other day and he told me medium brown ?? please help me thank you.

All the torsion bars I've seen were black. I think they start out gloss black and fade a bit.

From the drips and runs, I'd say they were dipped in black paint.

Example:

1702690248644.png

I've got green ones and black ones.

It's gonna be based on the thickness of the bar if I had to guess.

The main color of the bar might be an identification by source or possibly length, but the three color stripes specifically identify them as to application (six cyl, LA, or B/RB engine and a/c "HD" and "Std" stiffness.

Seems like I've seen some which were olive drab, but the vast majority were normal black.

In the FSM, it notes that should some nics happen to the bar, to sand the nic with a certain grit of sand paper and then repaint that area so it does not rust.

As to color, match what's on your car, with black being the default color. Basic black enamel as lacquer might not have enough flex in it.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I've got green ones and black ones.

It's gonna be based on the thickness of the bar if I had to guess.
I've never seen a green one, so I started searching a bit and I read that replacement t-bars may have been olive green. I can't find any good reference for that, so I am skeptical about it. I'll have to look around some more.

Since the stripes (I have seen those) mark the diameter, it doesn't make sense to me that they would paint the entire bar for that.

If it were me, I'd still paint them black and if I was really being fussy, try to figure out the stripe code.

Back