Question about Lifters

Knebel

Reaction score
Hey,

I just took off my Rockershaft and Rocker arms on my LA360, I did it to investigate a ticking i have almost all the time and only gets a little better when the engine is warm. I expected one bad lifter or so BUT:

I see that the Rockers are pretty loose on the shaft, is that normal? Then, which is strange, when i lift out the pushrods and they stick to the lifter a little, the plunger inside the lifter is loose.... like LOOSE. I can move it up and down just with the pushrod sticking to it from oil. All 8 Lifters seem to do that on the side i have the ticking. I thought theyy are spring loaded and shut have some sort of resistance when pushed on.

I will upload a video of it later but so far, anyone know what to think of that? Engine looks like the previous owner didnt pay attention to oil changes pretty dark and sludgy.

When I took my 383 apart all the exhaust rocker arms were ovaled very stretched it would tick at the slightest dip in oil pressure.

Sorry for the pixels, but I think you can get the idea of what im talking about:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah my exhaust rockers were loose like that it did not tick all the time but it was very,very clean no sludge also mine was BB lifter, pushrods and rocker are all straight in line SB has that weird angle which might be reason for tick. I would buy new rockers put them on see what happens, you need them anyway, and they will not be hurt trying them out.

No oiling through the pushrods but it does travel down to the lifters on the there surfaces.

Oops, beat me to it Dave. Sorry to butt in, you two carry on.

Little loose but that button sits in the insert that floats on the oil so to speak all held in with the clip. I think your initial problem is the ovaled rockers not providing enough preload on the lifter.

No have to go to bed have a 5am at US steel can't be late.

I doubt that the plunger of the lifter is moving rather you are lifting the entire lifter via the rod. I think there are supposed to be spacers or washers between the rocker arms - mine have them so they don't rub together. I don't know how fond you are of the car or the engine but looks like it's time for rocker shafts, rockers and lifters. If you do change the lifters keeping the same cam you need to break them in as if cam and lifters were new. While you're at it, check the valve
springs thoroughly.

Hey, thank you for the help. Got new rockerarms and there is no more ticking and oh boy, runs smooth now!

I was just wondering my 383,showed 08000 when I took it apart for head gaskets and I found those stretched rocker arms and with the looks of my rod bearings I'm starting to think it might have been 208,000. Thanks

I bought my Challenger in the mid eighties with 90,000 showing, sat in storage about 15 years I've added about 20,000 in the last 11 years says around 21,000 now. I just find it hard to believe that my rockers stretched in 108,000 miles.

Back