question on harmonic balancer

Remember, too, if you might find a NOS damper, the rubber in it will be almost as old as the one you now have. In other words, not much better, as the rubber is not cracked, but how soon before it does? Only way to get fresh rubber is with a rebuilt/reman item from a quality source.

CBODY67

CB; I got the crank bolt off with an old electric impact wrench I bought on E-Bay (Millers Falls). Do you know what the torque should be when I put the bolt back in? I don't think a torque stick will fit. Paul
I took mine off with electric impact and when I got tight as I could with rachet, I gave about 3 hits with the impact.

I did not have anyway to hold it and torgue it back on but I think couple of impact hits will be good.

Damper dudes wants $139 for the project and I can't see where it's that complicated. Paul

I would bet my bottom dollar that if i attempted this myself, i throw the TDC mark out of kilter and waste my efforts. I am curious to know tho..... what/who is the source for replacement rubbers???

I tried the 440 Source for this job, damper, timing chain and gears by Cloyes, and stuff. I am very pleased with what I see so far. But, but but, as I begin the removal up front, I just found the captured water pump house bolt. This means I need to again try to remove a threaded piece from this pump. I did try the plug earlier to use a different spot for the temp sender, and could not remove the plug. Wondering if this line adapter will loosen, or whether I will have to try to move the housing while loosening the bolt....dreading either or both. Wonder if mother mopars engineers ever heard of corrosion. Pretty sure they did not have PTFE sealers or anti seize back that far. Permatex and rust sealing things up nicely.

Just pulled the damper on my 66 383 sport fury 4 bbl. I expected to find no weight, but, there is an oblong weight on the front, and some balancing holes opposite. I assume this is the weight, since most I have seen are the new removable type. Looks like I will be leaving the weight on the new one. I do want to find a pic of the OEM external with the offset weight.

Back