Rare 300F Special GT auctioned at Pebble Beach Concours Aug 21, 2016: Sold for $440,000!

saforwardlook

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
This very rare 300F Pont-a-Mousson 4 speed gear box equipped Chrysler 300F was auctioned today at Pebble Beach Concours for $440,000! Only 9 of these cars were reportedly built. The manual transmission was also used in the french Facel Vegas of the day. These 300F Specials, as they were called, were also equipped with upgraded ram induction engines rated at 400+ HP rather than the 375HP rating of the standard 300Fs. Here is the link below for further information (I was unable to copy any of the photos or text from the auction site - maybe someone more resourceful than me would be more successful - I was able to get only two photos by luck):

1960 Chrysler 300 F GT Special

56060888-500-0.jpg
1960Chrysler300F_04_1000-700x465.jpg

My 300F (not a special) has a little more miles on it, but has an easier to drive Torqueflite and a/c, so maybe I should sell if for half that amount: :rofl:

2.JPG
65sm.JPG

Last edited:
Nice... not many get to own documented factory land speed cars. BTW I had understood that transmissions were 5 gears. As much as I love that car, it is a museum piece and doesn't belong with me.

The '60 model vdeo is out there and I did see it. It stated the "Race" version 300 has the 400 HP motor and a 4 speed transmission. The french transmissions (3 and 4 speed) were not durable. Enough problems to have the HD Dodge truck transmission 3 speed to be put in 1962 300's and that is what I have in my car.

My 300F (not a special) has a little more miles on it, but has an easier to drive Torqueflite and a/c, so maybe I should sell if for half that amount
WELL, when you do, please offer me right of first refusal. I'll have to pass, of course, but I'll have the bragging rights to say that, I coulda bought that car. lol

The '60 model vdeo is out there and I did see it. It stated the "Race" version 300 has the 400 HP motor and a 4 speed transmission. The french transmissions (3 and 4 speed) were not durable. Enough problems to have the HD Dodge truck transmission 3 speed to be put in 1962 300's and that is what I have in my car.

Hey Pete. could you post some pictures of your 62 300.....? I'd love to see how you've upgraded it. It landed in the best hands it could have.

We had one of those show up at the fall 300 Club Int'l meet in Elkhart Lake, WI last Sept. The club was able to drive the Road America course during the meet. How would you like to have been a passenger in the GT Special for that run??

We had one of those show up at the fall 300 Club Int'l meet in Elkhart Lake, WI last Sept. The club was able to drive the Road America course during the meet. How would you like to have been a passenger in the GT Special for that run??

That would have been a once in a lifetime experience!

WHAT???? You don't have one? :poke:

Nope! I am just a poor boy living off my monthly retirement check and social security. I am just rich in spirit! :thumbsup:

I bought the bulk of my cars in the distant past when they were cheap!

Awesome video, but WTF to windows open?

...and I'm glad those cars are getting appreciated. As much as I individually think it's nuts, I see cars that I consider a whole lot less "special" selling for a whole lot more.

Your 999 Blue coupe ain't nothin' tah sneeze at either Gipsy, Just sayin'. Welcome to the Party Pal, Jer

Your 999 Blue coupe ain't nothin' tah sneeze at either Gipsy, Just sayin'. Welcome to the Party Pal, Jer

Thanks Jer!
Did I ever tell you about the time I got to ride in Wayne G's GT while in laid over in CA one weekend?
I have video of that somewhere.
4 adults in the car and it would still go sideways!
What a HOOT in the 1st degree!!
That ranks right up there with riding in one of the turbine cars, we did that at the St. Louis meet way back when Jim G was still among us, He and Josh were there w/Jims D conv that weekend.

We hosted a couple of the western club Lone Star chapter meets in the '90s in Austin while we were down there and Wayne road over from Kerrville with John and Marilyn C. I ask him where hiz Black '60 with the 4 Spd waz and he said next time for sure Jer, I waz just too lazy to give in ah bath, lol.

Back