Re-arch rear springs or replace them?

Henrius

Reaction score
The leaf springs in both my 1965 Fury and 1972 Newport are now flat, and almost concave.

There are places that advertise to re-arch the springs. Other people say don't bother. Metal fatigue will just flatten them again in no time. They say to just get new leaf spring sets.

What is the truth? Re-arch the springs, or just get new ones?

I perfer to rearch the original springs if they are in otherwise good condition. Aftermarket springs will appear different then the originals and almost always bring the ride heigth higher then original. You'll be told that they will settle after some time ..... but that's pretty much BS. Maybe 3-4 years.
I've had several springs rearched with great success. Unless the springs are extremely rusted or broken it's the best method.

Take the car to a reputable spring shop and let them know what heigth you want the car to sit. New bushings and bolts should be included.

Rebuilding springs is a good idea, but just re-arching them is not a good idea. Springs aren't created equal. Heavy duty springs are thicker by the leaf, and are more resistant to movement. You can re-arch springs to get back height, it looks cool, but when you load it up, it sags like an old lady, and the minute you load the car up, they still go flat.
Also, There is a difference between doubling up on the front of the spring to the center of the axle, and installing heavy duty from the front to the rear spring perch attachment. I have noticed if you are racing, having springs in the front reduce wheel hop, but full springs carry the load. I own and drive several c bodies, so this is based on my experience.

I bought 2 new as mine were actually bent backwards!! My car sits a tad higs but it is because the new shackels are to long. I bought another set that are correct but haven't changed them out. I decided I like the height especially when I put friends in it sits perfect.

The guy in the vid said a camaro with cloth rear seat material caused the factory to put in a different spring than one with a vinyl interior

Interesting and informative video.

Most of what it addresses is if you intend to modify or change the car to a higher output power train then the springs should also be modified ...... true.

As for OEM restoration, most vehicles can have unique visual designs that are not found in a replacement set of springs. Such is the case with the springs in my 61 Fury convertible. Aside from a sagging ride heigth they are in good condition. I will have them rearched as part of the rebuild.

Detroit Eaton is a reputable but high dollar option for spring service of any kind. All springs I have had rebuilt/rearched were less then the expense of new springs. Most larger size citys will have a reputable spring shop, usually servicing the truck industry.

I purchase replacement springs from Eaton for my '65 300 'vert. Ride height was where it should be from the get go.

I replaced 4 sets of springs . One on each of the Polaras I have owned within the last fifteen years. One I went from five leaf to six and the others were all 7 leaf cars from the start. All were purchased from www.ESPO.com ... None of them have sagged since and all fit well. I always prefer replacement

Back