Rear air shock replacement -75 Imperial

mgk

Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to replace the rear air shocks on my 75 imperial. Is it recommended to replace with same air shock assembly or install regular shocks? If regular shocks, what should be done with the existing air lines?

Thanks

By observation, many in here do not like the words "air shocks" for some reason. Personally, I have them on my '70 Monaco with no problems, just age.

So, your car has "Automatic Level Control"? Fine! You should have few issues getting some Monroe-brand shocks to replace your existing ALC shocks. Probably less than about $100.00/pair at www.rockauto.com ? Not sure if it might be necessary to adapt the fittings on the shocks to the existing air lines?

IF you might choose to not go with ALC shocks, then normal Monroe shocks should be available, too. Unplug the wiring at the ALC air pump under the car, remove, and plug any air line connections on the pump, for general principles. Putting some tape over the wiring connector which you unplugged from the pump, too.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

By observation, many in here do not like the words "air shocks" for some reason. Personally, I have them on my '70 Monaco with no problems, just age.

So, your car has "Automatic Level Control"? Fine! You should have few issues getting some Monroe-brand shocks to replace your existing ALC shocks. Probably less than about $100.00/pair at www.rockauto.com ? Not sure if it might be necessary to adapt the fittings on the shocks to the existing air lines?

IF you might choose to not go with ALC shocks, then normal Monroe shocks should be available, too. Unplug the wiring at the ALC air pump under the car, remove, and plug any air line connections on the pump, for general principles. Putting some tape over the wiring connector which you unplugged from the pump, too.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Very much appreciated, thank you

Back