Rear bearing going bad?

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I believe my right rear bearing is going bad on my 66 300. I have never replaced them and am sure they are the original. I did have the axle shafts removed and inspected 6 years ago when I did the brakes.

I read through some other posts and it looks like I need to find someone to press in, and also remove the old bearings. I am pretty sure I know someone for this part of the job.

I want to hopefully get everthing I need to have the shortest down time. I am going to do both sides. I saw this site was recommended. Drivetrain :: Mopar 8 3/4" Should I be buying the bearing rebuild kit? Anything else? I do not have a sure- grip differential.

Also reading through the service manual they mention using a special tool to remove the axle shaft. I don't remember this before I thought I pulled them straight out after I removed the bolts from the retainer.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

You shouldn't need a puller to get the axles out... If one is sticky, turn the drum inside out and put it on the axle with some lug nuts and use it as a slide hammer. This way has worked for me for years... Until last week when an axle just wouldn't come out of my Barracuda. I ended up doing a free rental axle puller from Auto-Zone.

Spend the extra $40 and get the Timken bearings. When I did my 300, I got a better deal at Rock Auto for the same pieces.

What's your indication that they're going/gone?
I have been getting a vibration. This doesn't occur when the car is driven in short trips. I at first thought it was up front, but today I had it aligned at the best shop in town and asked him to check out everything up front. He came back and told me it was my right rear bearing or differential.

When I drove home I realized it was coming from the rear.

A vibration at the rear, while that is a bit vague info to go on, I will throw in the possibility of a universal joint gone bad too. Also a possibility is a balance weight has come off the drive shaft.

A vibration at the rear, while that is a bit vague info to go on, I will throw in the possibility of a universal joint gone bad too. Also a possibility is a balance weight has come off the drive shaft.

I did replace the u joints 6 years ago. It definitely seems to be coming from the right, that is why I was thinking bearing.

I had a bad bent rim on the right front so that is why I was originally thinking front. The bent rim vibration was worse and when that was replaced, but there was still a secondary vibration. I thought it messed up something in the front suspension, from the bent rim.

Last edited:
I just did this job too. My tip is, find a good shop with a press FIRST.

This is what I did to cut mine off. And there is no way you could ever get them on yourself unless you have an industrial sized press.

I just did this job too. My tip is, find a good shop with a press FIRST.

This is what I did to cut mine off. And there is no way you could ever get them on yourself unless you have an industrial sized press.

I just did the job as well, one suggestion I would make when cutting off the old bearing is to temporarily install a couple of hose clamps where the inner seal rides. One skip with the grinder and you have potential for a leak. Also be very careful not to cut into the axle itself. And I did get the new ones on by myself. Perhaps not the wisest choice, but I had a heavy iron pipe the right size and used it as a slide hammer against the lockring. One went on with an almost concerning lack of effort, the other took some slamming. Up here in Canada the Chinese bearings were 50$ a peice vs. Timkens at 130$ a piece. The one time I cheaped out. A two and a half inch C clamp and a flat bar against the axle housing end will get the inner seals out. Another thing to consider is the green bearing conversion.

Well the easy part it done. I pulled both axle halves, that went smoothly, not even an hour. Both bearings are clearly bad. My buddy, a retired Mopar mechanic, is going to help me remove and install the new bearings.

Thanks @Big_John for the Rock Auto tip, half the price of NAPA and Timken too.

Well the easy part it done. I pulled both axle halves, that went smoothly, not even an hour. Both bearings are clearly bad. My buddy, a retired Mopar mechanic, is going to help me remove and install the new bearings.

Thanks @Big_John for the Rock Auto tip, half the price of NAPA and Timken too.
The worst side of mine fell into a million pieces when I took it out. Miracle I didn't kill someone.

I'm curious as to why both bearings failed at the same time, hmm.

I realize now this has been going on for probably a couple of years. I never drive it much more than 50 miles as a time, and not until this year do it start showing itself in under 20. Most of my drives are 10 to 20.

I'm curious as to why both bearings failed at the same time, hmm.

Remember, this car sat for many years unmoved. In my experience when a car sits that long the bearings dry out. It takes them a bit to show signs of wear

Remember, this car sat for many years unmoved. In my experience when a car sits that long the bearings dry out. It takes them a bit to show signs of wear

Yes it sat for 32 years, I inspected them 6 years ago, but decided they seem fine at the time, the dried out bearings makes sense. I am just glad that I found the problem finally, it has kept me from taking her on any long trips because something just didn't feel right.

I am thinking the all new front suspension, leaf springs, shocks and possibly the rear seat bar help hide the bearings starting to fail.

I drove one of mine several years with that damn noise. Dreading what it was every mile I drove it.

This is good news for us, she'll be at Carlisle next year?

I drove one of mine several years with that damn noise. Dreading what it was every mile I drove it.

This is good news for us, she'll be at Carlisle next year?

I wish I could say absolutely yes, but the show always falls on my anniversary. I will be back, especially since the Nats pale in comparison.

I wish I could say absolutely yes, but the show always falls on my anniversary. I will be back, especially since the Nats pale in comparison.

It's a big anniversary party. Bring the wife will ya

There's some great restaurants in Harrisburg to take her to. Tour a bit of PA before or after for a mini vacation and she'll be happy.

Hiking in the local mountains and Valleys, Hershey park, Valley Forge history.... perfect anniversary stuff

Back