Rear door glass removal

Old man Utah

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've a problem that I'm sure some of you have encountered and dealt with.
On my 75 Town and Country the drivers side power window is slipping on either the regulator teeth or the motor drive teeth and need to fix it. On earlier C bodies I've always managed to get the glass and motor out quite easily but these are more difficult.
When trying to unscrew the two screws that go through the lift channel and the glass, the flat circular retaining nuts on the back of the glass are turning with the screw. I've tried to get grips on them to stop them turning but being so flat its almost impossible and you have to be careful not to break the glass. Would appreciate any thoughts on this. Thank you.

Hi Steve,

On the earlier cars I usually leave the glass in and just pull out the regulator assembly.

With the glass all they way up and held with some tape, I unbolt the regulator from the door and slide the guides out of the tracks on the glass. I'm not real familiar with the formal sedans, so maybe that isn't possible on these?

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I've always done that with the earlier cars but you can't get the arms out of the track because the screws keep them in. Hope there is a way.
Steve.

Are you sure the problem isn't the motor itself? The clutch inside the motor is the most common failure. Does it slip in only one spot or the entire length of travel? If it slips in any position, then it's likely to be the clutch. On the earlier cars you can drill three holes in the door with a 1/2" shorty Unibit and unbolt the motor from the regulator. I've never tried that on a formal, since I never had any power window problems on our '78.

If the regulator has to come out, the only solution I can think of is to get to the other side of the plastic nuts and hold them from turning with a pair of vice grips. I have been able to do this on some doors. I think they were from a '72 Charger.

Jeff

Back