Rear End Measurements?

BDR529

Reaction score
So I'm sure everyone who has looked into replacing their rear ends has seen the chart of how the various mopar differential cases look, but what about measurements? I have a friend whose brother deals with a lot of rear ends and if I could get the measurements necessary for a drop in replacement it would be incredibly helpful. I think all I need is flange to flange, and leaf spring perch width. I haven't really seen this discussed anywhere else on the forum, and figured it would be good information and easy to find if anyone has the answer handy...

The only measurement applicable to a 74 C-Body is
’70-’74: 59 7/16″ (and ’69 wagon)
Is this one year off? I was under the impression that the formals were 74-78, and I would assume 70-73 are completely different. Anyone have any insight on this?

It is indeed wrong. This chart should be a little easier to reference:

Mopar_rear_axle_dimensions.jpg

Alright. Thanks for the help. This forum has been an invaluable source for help and the measurements have been sent to my friend!

The only measurement applicable to a 74 C-Body is

Sorry you didn't say "I only want only measurements applicable to a 74 C-Body"

So I'm sure everyone who has looked into replacing their rear ends has seen the chart of how the various mopar differential cases look, but what about measurements? I have a friend whose brother deals with a lot of rear ends and if I could get the measurements necessary for a drop in replacement it would be incredibly helpful. I think all I need is flange to flange, and leaf spring perch width. I haven't really seen this discussed anywhere else on the forum, and figured it would be good information and easy to find if anyone has the answer handy...

I was operating under the premise that you knew what you had and was interested in what the friend may come across that would work. The chart Stan posted is more complete so I deleted the one I posted since it was lacking of 74 C body info and possibly incorrect so as not to leave inaccurate and incomplete information lying around

Well out of curiosity i went and measured the housing out of my 68 newport custom to see what it measured flange to flange, 56 and 3/8in. I measured it twice to make sure.

I was operating under the premise that you knew what you had and was interested in what the friend may come across that would work. The chart Stan posted is more complete so I deleted the one I posted since it was lacking of 74 C body info and possibly incorrect so as not to leave inaccurate and incomplete information lying around[/QUOTE]

I would be curious to see that list again talhair as my housing doesn't match up with anything listed on Stan's list? i do wanna find out what the go is.

I apologize if I wasn't clear in my original post, and I do still appreciate all the responses. In fairness though, I did post this in the "Later Model C Bodies: Last of the line years: 1974 - 1978" forum. If I get a chance this weekend I'll see if I can climb under the car and try to get some measurements. I was just wondering if someone had one on a bench or easily accessible...

No worries BDR .. I was harsh in my response but didn't necessarily mean to be .. was up early and answered you at about 4 in the a.m. before work, had a bad day, blah, blah, blah .. My apologies brother :)

I never notice the posting category unless it's brought up as I just go to the new posts area and all new posts feed there

My car is up on the lift as we speak so I just measured my 9 1/4 and I got a shade over 59" (Dimension "A") from flange to flange centerlines

Last edited:
Back