Rear end on 76 Newport

FloridaEnglishman

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have searched the forums and found some info on the right rear gears/ratio to get to spice up the newport. Its a 400-2 and will be sporting an edlebrock 1406 and likely a stock 4 barrel intake (as i have one on my bench). I have the 8.25 rear and 2.76 gears at the moment. I am not sure what case I have, how can I find out?

Also opinions on where to get the gear kits from (what brand) would be helpful as I am on a budget, and would buy used if the parts are all there. I am looking at 3.23 or 3.55. It is mainly a short distance car with a few 2 hour car show trips a year.

Thanks for any help.

8.25 doesn't have a case. 8.75 has different removable cases. 742 & 489 are the most popular. Stamped right on the side. 8.25 has a bolt on cover on the rear. 8.75 does not. Case unbolts from the front. 8.25 is fine for a street car. I've run em for years. US Gear is about the cheapest & still good quality. 3.23 is what I would go with. That's plenty unless you want to hit the strip fairly often.

Thats good to know thanks. I have been under to top up fluid and read the 2.76 tag. Thats it so far so i am very green when it comes to mopar rears.
So i should be able to just get the seal/bearing kit and gears from US Gear and just swap out?
Good stuff. Thanks.

Thats good to know thanks. I have been under to top up fluid and read the 2.76 tag. Thats it so far so i am very green when it comes to mopar rears.
So i should be able to just get the seal/bearing kit and gears from US Gear and just swap out?
Good stuff. Thanks.
Yes you should. Mancini Racing sells a lot of parts for the 8.25 too. If you have a sure grip (posi in GM lingo) you need to add the additive unless you buy gear oil that is for a limited slip. Watch some self help vids on You tube. If you can't find a Chrysler 8.25 a GM 10 bolt is very similar. You can do it if you do your homework. Your bearings may be ok. If not pitted. Clean them. Blow compressed air through the rollers while holding them. They should spin smooth. Repack with disc brake grease. There is a needle like tool you can buy at parts store to put on your greese gun. Simplifies re packing. Reinstall

Back