Interior rear seat

timthomas

Reaction score
Have a 1969 Chrysler Newport convertible

I am restoring the interior trying to remove the rear seat. I know there is a method but not sure.

Any help with directions would be appreciated.

Heads up, FYI convertible rear seats are specific.
They are narrower than 2 or 4 door cars and do not interchange.

Once your rear seat is out, inspect the seat frame.
Rusty frames are common on convertible seats, especially the bottom section.
Hope his helps.

@cbarge is right, convertible rear seats are prone to rusting out especially in the lower frame corners. @ayilar had that experience on his 70 300. Always pop for new foam seat buns and burlap when covering. You have to be pretty aggressive w/ pushing in and then pull up on the lower seat assemb. to remove it.

Push in at the very bottom of the seat. The seat frame is just flexible enough that if you push on the top, a stubborn seat won't come out.

You also want to push back BEFORE you lift and lifting shouldn't be hard. In fact, it should almost pop up. The seats that get lifted up hard will bend the seat frame just enough to make it even harder to remove.

Seat popped right out. Pretty easy once you know tge right way to do it.

Thank you for your direction help

Pics

IMG_8331.jpeg

IMG_8334.jpeg

IMG_8330.jpeg

The car was always garaged or in my barn. So very little rust but the interior did dry out and crack

Seat frames are all good. Actually found the spec sheet printout for the original car build from Chrysler. Pretty cool find

Two build sheets from Chrysler. One inside the back of the passenger sheet. The other in the springs of the back seat. Very cool find. Now need to lookup some info on what the codes mean. I believe the car was built on 1/4/69

IMG_8349.jpeg

IMG_8350.jpeg

Back