Rear parking brake problem

64Imperial

Reaction score
Hey I have a 1964 Imperial and I just re ordered Raybestos BC92270 for the rear parking brake. The original one I installed I must have nicked the cable sheath and spring and it started to stick inside the housing. I thought I better get a new one in case it starts to cause a problem.

Well I just received the new one and the size is completely incorrect! I purchased one off rock auto and another off Amazon and both do not match the one I purchased last year! Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

20231005_212712.jpg

What part numbers from what vendors' cables did you get? Just curious.

CBODY67

What part numbers from what vendors' cables did you get? Just curious.

CBODY67
I stuck with Raybestos BC92270 and the part numbers were the same on the box.

The inside label of the new ones on the plastic is labeled 78-92270. I don't have the old one to verify if it said that also.

There's no numbers or anything on the cables themselves.

From the RA "info" page for the cable . . . Housing Length = 23.56" Cable Length = 34.63"
For that part number.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Last edited:
Perhaps, if RockAuto sells them, they might have the cable's specs on their "Info"page?

Otherwise, might need to scout around in the Raybestos online catalog for specs. In something like a "Buyer's Guide" section listing which has the specs for each of the cables they sell. Sounds like something might have gotten put in the correct box?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Yeah that's what it seems like to me! It says the specs are cable length 34.630 and housing length 23.562.

The old cable matches these measurements!

After checking the RA website, I edited my original post to reflect that.

Wondering where the "78-" number came from?

CBODY67

In RA also, Dorman shows a C922270 with a casing length of 22.36" . Might that be closer to what you need? Just curious.

CBODY67

I might try the dorman but what worries me is that it says it's housing is shorter. The old housing matches the 23.5 spec and that cable is perfect fit!

I'll measure the ones that were newer and see what they measure

The new ones from Raybestos measure 21.5 for the housing and 29 for the cable! It's definitely no where near specs!

As mentioned in an earlier post, Craig @mobileparts will be your best source for figuring out the correct part number for your application. There is a real good chance he even has the correct part you are looking for. When you call and leave a message he will get back to you. Many of us here have used him for quality parts and great customer service.

Hey I have a 1964 Imperial and I just re ordered Raybestos BC92270 for the rear parking brake. The original one I installed I must have nicked the cable sheath and spring and it started to stick inside the housing. I thought I better get a new one in case it starts to cause a problem.

Well I just received the new one and the size is completely incorrect! I purchased one off rock auto and another off Amazon and both do not match the one I purchased last year! Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

View attachment 620666
The lower of the two looks like the correct cable to me.

The one without the spring wouldn't work as I see it.

In fact, I looked at the part number to see if it would fit my '65 300L and it does list the same part number for both the '64 Imperial and my car. I just had the brakes apart and it definitely uses the cable with the spring.

I submit to you that the cable on the car is incorrect. Have you tried fitting the new one on the car?

Hey I wanted to update everyone. The Dorman works perfect and is the same size as the "original" Raybestos. If you need a new brake cable I would order the Dorman C922270.

Back